'02 differential whine repaired!

A week or two ago I made a post regarding differential whine in late model Explorers. My '02 Explorer XLT has had a whine since new and it occurred around 60 MPH. From what I've read on various forums, there didn't seem to be a solution to the problem. Many folks reported that the whining noise didn't go away or just occurred at a different speed. Some reported new noises or problems after a repair attempt.

Well, the factory warranty on my '02 expires early next month, so I figured I should at least mention the problem to my dealer. They test drove the vehicle and confirmed my complaint. Next, they ordered a bunch of parts for the differential which included the ring and pinion gears. Viola! I picked up my Explorer last evening and the differential is silent!

Dave '02 Explorer XLT standard V6, 4 x 2 tow package, 3.73LS axle

Reply to
dstaffor[SpamNot]

Dave Wait about 800 miles before you celebrate. I had that repair (replacement of inner parts) done last fall and it didn't permanently fix the whine - it came back.

Reply to
Larry Telford

Same experience here. It took a few thousand before mine came back.

Bill Jeffrey

Larry Telford wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

I too had mine replaced last October. It came back in about 2 weeks. Hope yours stays quiet! Good luck!

Reply to
onegolfer

Me too. My "new" differential replacement lasted about 1k until it started howling again. I just had my Explorer back on 4/30 and was told that they will be ordering a "redesigned" differential and will have the fix completed in about 10 days. Glad I'm getting the new part, but it's too late to change my attitude about Ford, their vehicles and their service. From now on it's a nice forgeign one made by Americans.

Reply to
Spinachetr

Not encouraging news :-(

If this is a recurring problem that began while under warranty, will Ford repair it again after the warranty expires without charge?

Dave

Reply to
dstaffor[SpamNot]

No.

Reply to
Fred W.

Even if the exact same problem reoccurred within say, a 1000 miles and/or 30 days?

Dave

Reply to
dstaffor[SpamNot]