'02 Explorer Fuel Gauge Problem

Group,

My '02 Explorer XLT w/ 32k miles on it has recently started to occasionally show an empty fuel tank and Check Gauge light, when the tank has plenty of fuel.

The problem is intermittent, although it only started a couple of days ago (so not a lot of background history).

Does anyone know if this is a problem common to the '02s, or do I just have the bad luck to have a defective gauge or wiring?

Thanks for your feedback,

Dominic

Reply to
James Drouin

I have had the same problem on my 92 explorer for almost 1/2 year, maybe longer. It turns out that the mechanics in general do not know about this problem, but Ford has discovered and described it. The gauge takes about

55 'key on' minutes to reset itself; with newer processors/instrument clusters, they claim it should reset in 17 minutes. I am planning to write Ford and recommend they replace the processors; I believe that the processors are bad, since mine will also set the door ajar alarm randomly and hold it for anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours drive time. This is unacceptable.

Talk with your service department, and make sure that they know if it has happened while the vehicle was on warranty. mel, snipped-for-privacy@att.net

041211.1930
Reply to
tfilm