02 Explorer Rear end problems

Bought an 02 Explorer in July 03, and have had repeated problems with the rear end, ranging from ABS light coming on, pinion seal twice, etc. Has had lots of parts replaced when it was under warranty -- now it is making a noise(loud whine) upon acceleration between 60-65 MPH and the Ford Fixers say it is a drive shaft that is not on recall but is on a "Mechanic's list" (?not sure exactly what it was called) that indicates this part is giving problems. I could get it fixed for $475, but can keep driving and it won't hurt it, so I'm told. My sister-in-law has the same model, and is starting to have rear end problems with it. Are other people having this problem and does anyone know if Ford is thinking of recalling these faulty parts?

Reply to
<wffarms

After how many miles does the problem surface? I currently have 10K.

Ken

2002 XLS
Reply to
knagy389us

It started the day I drove it home from the dealer -- I think it had either high 20's or low to mid 30,000 miles on it. It began with an ABS light that came on -- but it was related to the rear end problems. I called the guy that had owned my vehicle before, and he said he had never had any problems with it, so I think it must come on when you get some mileage racked up. I hope you will never have these problems -- it is very frustrating -- I love the Explorer, but this problem is very annoying and soon to be expensive, I am sure.

Reply to
<wffarms

It usually starts to show up at about 36,001 miles. Mark McCoy McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee

MMccoy01

Exactly.

Reply to
<wffarms