02 Explorer Timing chain making noise between 2K - 3K

I have a Explorer 02 with 95Km. I brought my Explorer to a ford dealership yesterday because the motor makes noise (Sounds like pinging noise ) between 2000 and 3000RPM. I explained to them that I think it the problem is the timing chain and they agreed with me. They did a quick diagnose and confirm that it is the timing chain that's making noise. They asked if I had extended warranty, I said no. They proceeded to tell me that I should not spend any money that it will not break anytime soon and not to worry it will last as long as 300km and probably longer. There comment took me by surprise, I was expecting to hear that work need to be done before the timing chain goes. I was ready to put up a fight and go all the way to court if I had to. Should I believe those guys ? Should I worry ?

Pascal

Reply to
Pascal

Timing chains aren't all that hard to replace, if you are concerned about it and have at least a moderate understanding of auto mechanics...and of course, a manual. I have done all of my timing chains in the past, and like everything else, it's tools, parts, time, and patience. Follow the manual and know the quality of the work done, rather than questioning the mechanic, as I know a few people to do. That said, I haven't had to replace any timing chains until well past

100K miles, so he's probably not blowing smoke up your rear, and timing chains are inherently noisy critters anyway.
Reply to
John Riggs

Thanks for the reply John, You're correct, I can do the repair fairly easely. But my point is , this truck is only 3 years old with 55K miles on it. Ford has a service bulletin out to solve this issue. The service bulletin is an admission of defect. Should I keep making noise about this and try to have Ford make it right to me or am I wasting time ?

Pascal

Reply to
Pascal

evening. my timing chain is also rattling. mine is a 1998 and its done

115000 miles and its getting louder. is this the chain only or do i need to replace anything else? can someone help me ?
Reply to
robbo