02 Explorer Which auto transmission do I have?

4L V6 auto 4 wheel drive vin # 1fmzu74k12zc*****

data plate on drivers door shows TR "V" Axle 45

Maintenance guide 30,000 miles refers to changing fluid on trannys AX4S,

4F50N, 4R100, 4F27E.

Vehicle has no transmission dipstick.

It's also a "normal service use vehicle".

wth

Reply to
wth

This is the (IIRC) 5R55W/S transmission. Under "normal" service, it is "lubed for life" according to Ford. Severe service recommendation is 25,000 mile service interval.

Special tools and techniques are required for service including the ability to monitor transmission temperature.

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim wth

Reply to
wth

I'm pretty sure I have the 5R55W transmission in my 98 Explorer as well (it's the 5 speed auto anyways).

Do you know if it is the same one as this 2002?

Is it true the 2002 ones don't have a tranny dip stick? (mine does)

Would you say the 1998 version is also "lubed for life" under normal usage? (my service book indicates you should change fluid but only in the severe category).

Thx

Reply to
Al Williams

I can't speak for what the engineers are thinking... the lubed for life idea may be a knee-jerk reaction to some condition I haven't seen. The "official" description of "normal usage" is wishy-washy enough to make us wonder if there is such a thing as "normal usage". There remains the chance that there were changes in friction materials when the change to lubed for life was brought in. I can only suggest following the miantenance schedule outlined in your owners manual.

Reply to
Jim Warman

When I went to get my last oil change, the dealer recommended me get my transmission flushed. I told him that I was told (by a third-party auto store) that this transmission (5R55W) is a sealed case and does not require the fluid to be changed. The rep at the dealership said "Oh... you just don't have a filter to change, but the fluid will still get used".... so now I'm confused.

I'm almost to 56,000 miles (however the transmission was replaced when the original completely failed at 19,000 miles, so this tranny in there now only has about 37000 miles on it).

Reply to
Tim