02 hitch and ball receiver

I need to buy a ball receiver (draw bar) for my 02 Expolorer. The factory hitch uses the smaller 1 1/4 inch receiver size. Does anyone have a recommendation on a drop size? The guy at my local auto shop suggested that a 2 1/2 inch drop was the right one. However, I don't trust his opinion since that was the only size they had in stock!

Reply to
WilM

In article , WilM wrote: :I need to buy a ball receiver (draw bar) for my 02 Expolorer. The factory :hitch uses the smaller 1 1/4 inch receiver size. Does anyone have a :recommendation on a drop size? The guy at my local auto shop suggested that :a 2 1/2 inch drop was the right one. However, I don't trust his opinion :since that was the only size they had in stock!

I am also needing to buy one for my '05 Explorer which I just bought. I'm no expert, but I think how much drop (or rise) you need depends upon your trailer. Ideally, you want your drop or rise such that the trailer's tongue is level with the ground...not dipped down too far or angled upwards too far, but as level as you can get it.

Reply to
Bob

I use a 5" drop on my 04 with 245-70x17 tires. Ops, I pull a 18 ft. bass boat and need that drop to be able to retrieve the boat. If I remember right my hitch ball is 15" inches off the ground as is my trailer when level. Remember the receiver in in the bumper not under it like the old Explorer's.

Ron

Reply to
Ron B.

In article , Ron B. wrote: :Bob wrote: : :> In article , :> WilM wrote: :> :I need to buy a ball receiver (draw bar) for my 02 Expolorer. The factory :> :hitch uses the smaller 1 1/4 inch receiver size. Does anyone have a :> :recommendation on a drop size? The guy at my local auto shop suggested that :> :a 2 1/2 inch drop was the right one. However, I don't trust his opinion :> :since that was the only size they had in stock! :> :> I am also needing to buy one for my '05 Explorer which I just bought. :> I'm no expert, but I think how much drop (or rise) you need depends :> upon your trailer. Ideally, you want your drop or rise such that the :> trailer's tongue is level with the ground...not dipped down too far or :> angled upwards too far, but as level as you can get it.

:I use a 5" drop on my 04 with 245-70x17 tires. Ops, I pull a 18 ft. bass :boat and need that drop to be able to retrieve the boat. If I remember :right my hitch ball is 15" inches off the ground as is my trailer when :level. Remember the receiver in in the bumper not under it like the old :Explorer's. : : :Ron

I visited my 17' pleasure boat today in it's storage place and compared my leveled trailer to the hitch on my '05 with 235-70x16 tires and found out I am going to need a 5-6" drop, which I have discovered is not going to be an easy find in a class II drawbar.

Reply to
Bob

I am also going to be pulling a 17' boat... single axle trailer. The lowest drop I have found is 2.5". I, too, have the Class II hitch which sits pretty high in the bumper. I am going to go re-measure the height of the trailer toungue and see if the 2.5" will cut it. If not, I might just have to live with it and consider replacing the hitch with a class III in the future.

Will

Reply to
WilM

In article , WilM wrote: :I am also going to be pulling a 17' boat... single axle trailer. The lowest :drop I have found is 2.5". I, too, have the Class II hitch which sits :pretty high in the bumper. I am going to go re-measure the height of the :trailer toungue and see if the 2.5" will cut it. If not, I might just have :to live with it and consider replacing the hitch with a class III in the :future. : :Will : :> I visited my 17' pleasure boat today in it's storage place and :> compared my leveled trailer to the hitch on my '05 with 235-70x16 tires :> and found out I am going to need a 5-6" drop, which I have discovered :> is not going to be an easy find in a class II drawbar.

Here is a 6" drop but it's not very long (7"):

The BR_BM96 model in the Class II section...$40.95)

I saw another one on the web somewhere but can't find it now.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

In article , Bob wrote: :In article , :WilM wrote: ::I am also going to be pulling a 17' boat... single axle trailer. The lowest ::drop I have found is 2.5". I, too, have the Class II hitch which sits ::pretty high in the bumper. I am going to go re-measure the height of the ::trailer toungue and see if the 2.5" will cut it. If not, I might just have ::to live with it and consider replacing the hitch with a class III in the ::future. :: ::Will :: ::> I visited my 17' pleasure boat today in it's storage place and ::> compared my leveled trailer to the hitch on my '05 with 235-70x16 tires ::> and found out I am going to need a 5-6" drop, which I have discovered ::> is not going to be an easy find in a class II drawbar. : :Here is a 6" drop but it's not very long (7"): : :

:The BR_BM96 model in the Class II section...$40.95) : :I saw another one on the web somewhere but can't find it now. : :Bob

I found another as well the one I saw earlier (bottom one below):

6" drop, length 6"

And this site seems to have the best selection:

The model PH30073 has a 6" drop and is 10.5" long...sounds about right for my application, but I want to measure the length of my class III drawbar I used to use on my '96 Explorer.

If anyone comes up with any other class II in the 5-6" drop range, please post! Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Speaking of which, does any one know of a GOOD source for a factory style class III hitch for the 02-05 Explorer's? I have a class II on my wife's EB. The chassis tow rating exceeds that of Class II, but more over, I have a Class IV in my Expedition and wanted to be able to use the more common 2" receiver on her's. That'd let us share attacments like bike rack, cargo basket, and ball and drawbar's. I don't really need to exceed the Class II rating with a small pop-up camper and would never consider pulling my loaded car trailer... That's what the Expedition is for!

KAM.

For the record, my '01 SportTrac pulled a loaded car trailer at highway speed like it wasn't even there! That was with the "little" X-code 4.0l V6.

WilM wrote:

Reply to
Madmax