'03 XLT horn weirdness

I replaced my battery today in my 2003 XLT with an Interstate 65MT. Tightened up the holddowns, sprayed the terminals, closed the hood and walked away. About 1 or 2 hours later, my horn starts going off as though I'd hit the red horn button on the remote. However, the remote was hanging on the hook and nothing was pressing up against it. Hitting the red button would make it stop. Another 5 or 10 minutes passes and it starts again! This time, I went outside, started the car and let it run, shut it off, locked it and went back inside. Another couple of minutes passes and it starts honking again. This time I pulled the fuses from the interior fuse block and decided to come here.

This HAS to be related to my changing of the battery......but I can't imagine why!? Anybody ever see this before?

dave

Reply to
Dave Morrison

Aftermarket alarm ???

A lot of times there on "valet" mode and replacing battery will reset it to normal

Reply to
Ollie

Nope, stock Ford keyless entry unit. Here's another wrinkle in this mystery: My driver's side door pinswitch has been acting up for months. It took me quite a while to isolate which door was causing my "Door Ajar" light to glow but I finally narrowed it down to the driver's door. I had Ford replace the switch two months ago only to have it start acting up again one month later. That switch is now in total failure mode as my "Door Ajar" light was on almost all day today.

I gave up last night and pulled the negative terminal off of the battery because the darn lights kept flashing every few minutes regardless of what I tried. The fuses are still out of the horn as well. Today, when I started the car and drove down my street, I'd swear the darn thing was possessed. It was ringing chimes telling me that I had a door ajar and the interior lights were staying on WAY longer than they should. AND the radio was turning off immediately after turning off the ignition switch just as if there actually WAS a door open. I guess it's off to Ford tomorrow.

dave

Reply to
Dave Morrison

Quick followup on this. Took it to Ford (under warranty) and they replaced the door switch (again!) and that fixed the problem. Apparently, if you remove the battery (or power) when the switch is in the failure mode and reapply power (the new battery I installed), it freaks out the computer and no amount of removing/re-attaching the battery will fix it. I asked the Service writer if this was going to be a regular thing for me to have to come in every two or three months to have this switch replaced. He didn't seem amused. Neither was I.

dave

Reply to
Dave Morrison