05 Explorer Read Axle Noise

| >A search on the internet yielded a lot of information on premature | >differential failures, with widely varied results, and a couple of TSBs from | >Ford (05-12-6 and 05-23-3) dealing with the issue. The TSBs cover Explorers, | >Expeditions, Navigators, F-150s, Aviators and Mountaineers, built between | >1997 and 2005. The TSB touts a number of kits, depending on year and model, | >and an upgrade from 75w-90 to 75w-140 synthetic lube. | >

| >My local Ford dealer has quoted $1000 to install this kit, and gives a 12 | >month/12,000 mile warranty on the repair. We are very happy with the | >vehicle, which is in pristine condition otherwise, and has always been very | >well maintained since we bought it new in late 04. | >

| >My question is this. If the differential is my problem, either now or in the | >future, what are my odds the repair will be successful enough to provide a | >differential that will last another 200k miles? | >

| The repair didnt fix mine. It just moved the whine down from 50-60 mph | to 25-30 mph. |

How many miles before the noise came back? Did you have a warrantee on the repair?

Reply to
Maxwell

We have an 05 Explorer with 100k miles, and the rear axle is starting to whine, seemingly from the right side. I'm still not certain it's not just a wheel bearing, but my mechanic suspects a problem with the differential, and says they are very problematic on this model.

[...]

in article 0vt7l.10971$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.iad, Maxwell at #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote on 1/2/09 10:59 AM:

bout 50/50 ... most bearing need replacing about 150K miles, but can last enough to burn out by 200k miles but not a good idea to do that especially up front.

the killer for vehicles is heat, taking down the wiring, as the insulation like the seals and gaskets will not last past 20 years ..

so there are re-wire and gaskets kits for Volkswagen's if you like ... and other vehicles you can just re-build all the time.

Can you get another 100K miles out of it after the repair ... sure.

sumbuddie hopes that helps

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane

The repair didnt fix mine. It just moved the whine down from 50-60 mph to 25-30 mph.

Reply to
dicko