'05 slow throttle

Just wondering if anyone else has the same experience. It seems like the throttle response on our new Explorer is a little slow. My wife (the primary driver) noticed after we first bought it that it behaves kind of weird when you come up to a light and it turns green, so you press the accelerator to go. You press, nothing happens, you press a little more, then it jumps because you have the pedal down so far. I think she's gotten used to it, but it just makes me wonder if there's something wrong. Are these drive by wire, and I have a slow processor?!

Another time, my wife was on a hill, with my mother and our kids in the rig. I was standing outside the car waving them off. She put it in reverse to back up the hill, away from a parked car. It didn't go, so I assume she pressed a little harder, it then kicked in, peeling out a little! Good thing it's quiet, or I'm not sure what my mother would have thought!

Another example, with me driving, I was towing our tent trailer, the kids were in the back (yelling "turbos Daddy, turbos!"). It was a windy road, and I wanted to see what the new rig would do under some pressure. I entered the turns slow enough, but then mashed down on the accelerator to pull out of the turn. It just seemed to take so long for it to kick in. I guess this could have also been due to the transmission having to find the best gear. But after this event, I'm thinking that I could have pulled our trailer faster through the curves with our old '94 Explorer. When you push on the gas, it WENT. This one has more horses, but it's like it has to think about it first. (of course, then the price of gas went through the roof, and I don't do this anymore...)

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Reply to
Richard Minami

The fly-by-wire throttles do have a disconcerting feeling until you get used to them... The first few I drove, I really didn't like but I am now at the point where I can't tell what's fly-by-wire and what's not. There were a couple of reflashes for the 5.4 F150 to address some drivability concerns attributed to this system. I don't work on enough Exs to know for sure but you might check with your dealer....

How to handle it at the service desk.... explain your concern in simple terms.... most service advisors would be better suited to waiting for the "french fry bell"...During the explanation "mention" in a questioning manner if there is a reprogram that might resolve your concern.

HTH...

Reply to
Jim Warman