1991 exp questions

Can the oil pan be removed without removing the engine? Can the roller lifters be removed without removing the heads? What components could be effected by a dead manifold/baro sensor? If anyone can answer any or all of these questions, I should be most grateful. TIA regards to all Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Marazzi

I've hear the oil pan can be removed in vehicle, but you'll have to raise the engine a bit to do it. Intake maniford has to be taken off to replace the lifters. The Baro sensor should generate a check engine light, and probably would incorrectly calculate the fuel required. But the O2 sensors might be able to compensate to a degree.

Reply to
rakster

God News! Anyone actually been there?

More good news, lower manifold I presume

Codes say its of range, but no "check engine light"

Thanks for the input Rackster, much appreciated!

Reply to
Luigi Marazzi

Of course, on the oil pan, you have to take out the transmission and flywheel or torque converter/flex plate. The gasket is cheap, but in a pinch, you can get the pan low enough to put FIP gasket goo on the pan rails and ends. Beats pulling the whole engine.

Be careful doing the intake manifold, the gasket sealing is a bit tricky.

Changing the baro sensor is easy, hopefully that's the problem.

Reply to
rakster

Pulling the engine might be easier than pulling the transmission. I just pulled the tranny on my '91 and it was a real bitch. Every mechanic I have talked to says the Explorer has the hardest tranny to pull out. Jim

Reply to
Slikboy

rakster wrote:

I am chasing a noise which has the tempo of valve clicking, sounds like a clack clack clack, but behaves more like a bearing gone bad. I only hear it when the engine is coasting, when its pulling I don't hear the noise, on closed throttle and overrun I don't hear it, but on a level road, coasting, I hear it. Recently I replaced the heads with two really nice low mileage ones from a salvage yard , including rockers and push rods, but the original lifters looked really good so I cleaned them and soaked them with oil and re-installed them. Now I am concerned that one of them might have collapsed and hence the noise. Or a valve is sticking?!....When I removed the lower manifold, I was shocked at the amount of goo that was mixing with the oil. I changed the oil and filter and have done it two more times in quick succession, now the oil on the dipstick looks pretty clean and apart from a little seepage from the valve cover, no oil problems. Coolant temperature is stable, no coolant loss in 2000 miles and the coolant itself has good color. The engine now runs beautifully apart from the clack clack clack. If I had the engine on a bench, I'd overhaul it and have fun, but getting it out is not an option for me so, I'm trying to get to it from the top and from the bottom. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :) The baro thing just came up recently and I don't have a clue as to what it might effect, that's why I was asking.

Reply to
Luigi Marazzi

Which was the worse part?

Reply to
Luigi Marazzi

Try pulling the tranny on the bronco II.. tinyest tunnel I've ever seen.. Exploder is much bigger. Actually, pulling the tranny isn't all that bad.. you can get to the top bolts with either wrenching from the top or a good set of universal joints on the ratchet and extensions. The hardest part is the O2 sensor connector.

There's a lot to take off, but I've done worse. Either way, pulling the engine or trans, it's a good excuse to check the clutch and replace the slave cylinder if manual.

Reply to
rakster

I pulled the exhaust pipes from the manifolds when I did my clutch. I have a 4x4 and pulled the trans cross member, transfer case, then the trans. Don't know about the automatic, but there is always something in the way.

Good luck.

Reply to
rakster

I had a good look under the car and I 'd like to think that taking the oil pan off and cleaning out any gunge that I find would be beneficial. What else can I do while I'm at it, could I get to the bearings? It looks like it but I don't want to start and then find out half way that I can't get to one bolt etc.....what do you think?

Reply to
Luigi Marazzi