1991 Explorer Trans

I had posted a message about my trans slipping wondering if making filter change would help.

Here is the follow-up to that message.

I change the filter this past week-end. There was a magnet in the bottom of the pan that apparently collects metal shavings. I thought that was a cool idea. The magnet was covered in sludge. I didn't see any metal pieces at all in that sludge. I cleaned the pan up and re-installed it.

Even when putting the 2.7 qts of trans fluid in it was not enough. It slipped alot after the installation when it got back on the road. After I drive it I check the fluid. Its not leaking and I had to put plenty more trans fluid in to get it filled up.

It seems to run ok after it gets warmed up. First thing in the morning it still wants to slip, particularly when going from 1st to 2nd whether in D or O.

I drove it to work today.

Anyone think it will get better as the fluid seeps into al the right places?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Hill

Break open the piggy-bank and get the trans overhauled.... the A4LD is not the worlds longest lasting transmission. Additional damage may have been done when the car was driven with less than 3 quarts in the pan.

No - broken parts do not "heal"...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Michael.

All you did was drain the transmission by pulling the pan? There is still a lot of old fluid in the torque converter draining it that way. Do you check the fluid level with the engine at operating temperature and the transmission in Park? There is a big difference in the fluid levels from a cold start than when the transmission warms up. Bring the engine and transmission to operating temperature first and see if the problem goes away. I will warn you though with the Explorers of that vintage,(I've owned two) that symptom is occasionally the first sign of failure. If the Exploder is in good shape otherwise, a transmission rebuild would be in order by a good transmission shop (NOT AAMCO!) The ones that do minimal advertising and get their work by word of mouth are the ones I trust.

Hoping your transmission is just low on fluid.

Regards,

Richard

Michael Hill wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ray

Yes, what else was I supposed to do?

I checked the fluid when I get it home from work after running on the freeway and while it is hot.

Reply to
Michael Hill

Jim,

The manual said 2.7 qts fills it up. I've put much more in it. How much do you think it really holds?

Mike

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Michael Hill

If it took more than the recommended amount of fluid after changing the filter (I assume that's why you dropped the pan), then it was low before you dropepd the pan. The tranny holds a lot more than 2.7 quarts; the pan only holds a small portion of all the tranny fluid in a tranny. The queation was asked about how you checked the fluid level, and you responced that you checked it qwhen the engine was wram. But you didn't say how you checked, only when. Was the engine running? Was the tranny in Park or Drive? These things make a difference. As Jim says, mechanical things very rarely heal themselves. Transmissions included.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

The A4LD holds somewhere around 10 litres (nearly 11 quarts) - this is a memory thing, feel free to correct me. A filter change *usually* requires 4 or 5 litres of oil (I have no idea where your 2.7 quarts came from).

Word to the wise...... F'rinstance - the modular V8s hold 5.7 litres of motor oil (including filter - 6 quarts 'Murican for the uninitiated). When I do a LOF on a modular V8, I add the perscribed amount of oil (prelubing the filter when possible) - I check the stick - I run the motor to check for leaks (and to check trans fluid except on some Exs) - I shut the motor off, do my paperwork (and there's enough of that to be done, let me tell you) and RECHECK the level. Taking things for granted and assuming things will only get us in trouble.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Are you checking it on a level surface with the engine running? H

Reply to
Hairy

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Reply to
Richard Ray

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

The subject line says it all...

Hairy

I don't get to work on very many cars....... where I live, I don't even work on many half tons. 5.7 liters pretty much does it. It remains that there is absolutely no excuse for not checking fluid levels. It's kinda like an extra insurance policy....... each and every one of us can forget some routine facet of our daily jobs. If we develop a self checking routine, we minimize the chances of error.

I really don't care how much motor oil your car takes. However, you should...... and your dealer should. That your car goes through the door with an incorrect oil level is unacceptable and it should be brought to someones attention.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have a 2000 XLT. The front transfer case went bad at about 100K. Now I'm told at 106K that both front and back differentials are bad ($4,000 to repair). Is Ford doing anything about these faulty transmissions? This car has mostly highway miles.

Reply to
jplpmn

$4,000 for two differentials???? What do you mean by "front transfer case?" As far as I know, there is only one transfer case. Who is robbing you? There is no way replacing both differentials should cost anywhere near $4,000. I can't imagine what might be happening to take out so many driveline components. I haven't had a transmission, differential, or transfer case fail in 30+ years of car ownership (well except for the 4 speed manual in a 1974 Jensen-Healey, but that shouldn't count :)). There must be some other problem that is stressing the drive line. I assume you are not riding around in 4Hi all the time. Maybe someting is wrong with the Control Trac computer and this casuing the A4WD setting to engage the front driveshat too often.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

I had to have a transfer case rebuilt on my 97 explorer. Ended up that the clutch pack was Fried. So even though the computer was cycling it was getting no 4x4. Also know of an f150 that lost a transfer case. Guy was plowing in

4x4 auto instead of 4 high.
Reply to
JaWise

I would have thought you should plow in 4x4 Lo.

Any idea why you burned up the clutch pack? I've had three Fords with the Automatic 4WD system, and so far have had no problems. I have heard it is common to have one of the speed sensors fail.

Reply to
A. Guy

I dunno. It was a 97 XLT. I do love to do donuts?? At first they thought it was the speed sensors and replaced them. Thought that had fixed it until the next snow storm and I started fish tailing and realized I had no 4x4 even when I put it in 4High. Took it back and the dealer ended up rebuilding the whole thing.

Luckily I had ford ESP or it could have cost a fortune. Took them about 4 days to rebuild it.

Reply to
JaWise

Let me rephrase that..it is the tranny and the transfer case. The front differential was rebuilt @ 100k. I agree with you, I've never had this much problem with ANY car. I don't even use 4WD that much. Should I just take it to the Ford dealer to check it out?

Reply to
jplpmn