1991 Explorer XL: gas mileage?

I'm continuing to research a replacement for my 1991 Explorer. I set out saying, "if I could buy another 1991 Explorer, new, today, I'd do it in an instant". Ironically I've found what's probably closest in the 2004 Jimmy (last year for 4-door) and I'm no longer sure I want it (although I felt at home when I sat in it!).

It just seems to dated, which is good inasmuch as it's a lot like my baby, but bad inasmuch as I look at "cast iron engine!?", and "16.9L/100km city, are they crazy!?". Of course my baby is no better, possibly worse. But this whole analysis process has forced me to think about what I want, and what I want it for.

Back in 1990, 4WD/AWD was important to me and there weren't a lot of choices. And I loved the "brand new" Ford Explorer.

4WD/AWD is still my single most important factor (after being able to fit myself in, of course). But there's so much choice.

Anyhow, my question is, what was the rate mileage of the 1991 Explorer, 4-door, 4WD model? I'll take it in L/100km or miles per US gallon, or miles per Imperial gallon. I found numbers in an old review but they're so ridiculous I'm certain they (or I) must have mixed up whether they were quoting US gallon or Imperial (I think they were quoting mpg from the EPA and I though it was per Transport Canada).

Thanks for any info you can provide!

=andrew

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

To follow up on my own question, I found this link

that goes back to about 1985 and includes the 1991 Explorer.

15.7 L/100 km (city) 11.8 L/100 km (highway) 13.8 L/100 km (combined) 15 MPG (city) 20 MPG (highway) 17 MPG (combined) (US gallons)

=aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Those would be real numbers that I get, Andrew, so it must be right.

Reply to
John Riggs

Thanks!

=aw