1992 eddie bauer oil pressure problem

1992 40,000 miles on motor .The oil pressure gauge shows it losses pressure as you drive it.Starting to hear a tapping in lifters...
Reply to
ken43

clogged oil pick up screen? filter needs changing? bad gauge? bad sending unit? pressure changes with temp you should look into why?

Reply to
John Riggs

Reply to
Big Shoe

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Hi Ken,

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger with the same problem. When I'm on the highway, and I go into passing gear, the oil pressure gauge dips, and I hear slight tapping/knocking in the engin. As soon as I let go of the gas peddle, the pressure comes right back. I took it in to get checked, and the mechanic told me that it is oil sludge in the engine. He suggested the first line of repair would be to remove the valve covers and investigate the amount of sluge at the top end of the motor. He figures the oil return passage ways in the engin are clogging, and causing the oil to return down to the oil pump too slowly, and the pump starts sucking air, haense the drop in pressure. What he discovered was that the valve chamber was not too sludged up, and cleaned it up very well. Currently my truck runs much better, but the pressure drop is still apparent in the passing gear, but definatley not as bad as before he cleaned the top end. He now suggests checking the bottom end of the engine by removing the oil pan and verifying the ol filter screen.

How did you fair out. Is your problem fixed? What remidied it?

Norm

Reply to
SATNUT28