1993 Explorer farts! - 2nd asking...

After I've run my Explorer a while (ie, engine is hot), it would start "farting" while idling in traffic, or in Park. It sounds like a low-volume back fire. Plugs and cable are 20k mi. old. Any ideas?

Reply to
Zilla

And the check engine light never comes on? Does it miss under load/acceleration?

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

No "Check Engine" light, and hefty on accelerations - the sucker just goes for one w/ 110k mi.

Reply to
Zilla

Catalyst firing off?

Reply to
Big Shoe

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

it sounds to me like your in sides of your muffler come loose, try shaking tail pipe when cool and see if you can hear any thing

Reply to
Jeff Guenther

Thanks folks! I'll try the O2 sensor and the muffler, though I don't think it's the latter since I don't get the farts when the truck is actually moving, only in Park and idling.

Reply to
Zilla