1993 Explorer radio

Ok my radio is crapping out, coming on/off. Power comes on, display comes on, but no sound. When I push the volume button, I just hear clicking noises. It's not the premium system.

Is the culprit likely the radio itself or the amp? I googled "radio" topics on the NG and found that most of the articles mentioned display not working or volume control not working, but I'm not sure my problem is related...

Reply to
Zilla

Since you have the non-Premium radio, you have a very ordinary radio there, and it's broken. It's also over 11 years old. Maybe it's not worth much effort, except to replace it, maybe with something better. Yes, I'm lazy. ;-)

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

I don't mind replacing either a) the radio b) the amp. But which one is the more likely culprit? I'm guessing the amp...

Reply to
Zilla

And I say you are the winner.

Time to visit your local radio shop or one of the Internet stores for a replacement radio. The nice thing about replacement is you can bring the radio up to date with MP3, XM Satellite or Sirius Satellite, changer control, and killer amps and speakers. If you go internet shopping, my choice is

they have the installation kits that include the wiring harness adapters so you don't have to hack up your stock wiring harness, faceplaces that make the install look stock, and technical help available on the phone if you need it. This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Richard

Zilla wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ray

mine did the same thing in my 93, I just got another one on EBay, it works fine now, and got it for 25 bucks, try there.

Reply to
raticus

More likely?

[I'm not so sure why there are so many people willing to work on the "more likely" cause of the problem. A little troubleshooting will tell you more than what's "more likely" to be the problem. From this distance, we can not tell you what the problem is. When I had my shop, when people would ask me to tell them what the problem was without spending time to find out (and, of course, their money), I'd tell them that I had the SnapOn Diagnostic Wizard, where all I had to do was fasten one spring clip ot the front bumper, and another to the rear bumper, and I'd get a readout of all problems; unfortunately, it was in the shop for repair.]

Guess if you want to. If you're wrong, you've bought an amp that you can now sell on Ebay. Instead, find what the problem is. Cost too much? Then just buy a new radio for less and get more. That's good advice, right there.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Thanks. Perhaps I'm trying to "poll" folks who've had similar problems. Isn't this what this NG is about. If 8/10 say they replaced the radio, then I'll consider that a "hint" (from a guess :). I do plan on diagnosing it, don't worry, before I buy anything.

Reply to
Zilla

Which did you replace, the amp or the radio?

Reply to
Zilla

Maybe I'm just being an old curmudgeon... If you're planning on troubleshooting, why poll? You troubleshoot, and find the problem. Whether or not 80% of the others here had *one* part of the system go bad only speaks to the group as a whole; when we get to individual cases, it could still be either one.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Because it's free...

Reply to
Zilla

On a more serious note, it takes time to remove the radio and remove the amp. Seems like removing the radio is easier, so I get a "hint" it's the radio, that'll save me time from reaping the amp out...

Reply to
Zilla

I replaced the radio

Reply to
raticus

Bill,

Before you jump into a lake do you check to see how deep it is or if there are any rocks?

Reply to
Ulysses