1993 Explorer Sport window problem

Couple of quick questions regarding my 1993 Explorer Sport. First, what would cause the driver's side window to start going down all on its own? This has been happening off and on for the past 3 weeks. If I push the up button while it's happening, it stops going down, but doesn't go up. If I wait a couple minutes, the window will go back up, and will repeat going down again in a few minutes. I noticed there was some moisture on what appears to be the motor, where wires go in and out the other side to the switch. Any ideas? BTW, the passenger side window is working fine.

Reply to
JENNIFER SMITH

I believe there should be a rectangular plastic box inside the door that has window control wires going into and out of it. It is the "express down" module. Sounds like yours may have developed a mind of it's own. OTOH, perhaps your window switch is turning itself "on" in the down direction which would also cause the behavior you describe. Just a quick accidental "on" from the switch will make the express down module do it's thing. The signal, as you noticed, that stops it from doing it's thing is an UP signal from the window switch. Replacing the switch is the easiest of the two since the assembly pops out easily and you don't have to take the door panel off. If you don't mind throwing money at the problem, that's the easy route to go. You can probably find one on ebay for $20. I think new ones are only $40 or $50.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm going to try and replace the switch to see if that works. It hasn't been acting up in the past couple of days. Another question...where is the window motor? I thought what is apparently the express down module was the motor. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
JENNIFER SMITH

The window motor is probably hard to see without sticking a mirror inside the door (after you take the door panel off). It's more or less where a manual hand crank handle would be on the door.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Can this box/feature be added to a XLT of the same year or did the XL

come with that feature

Reply to
JLA

It came with that feature. It's possible someone took the module out however.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks for the informatio

Reply to