1994 explorer auto hubs grinding

when i engage the 4x4 it works fine but i am concerned out the slight griding noise i hear and feel in the gas petal, is this normal? I assume with the 4x4 on i should experience a different feel in the gas peddle. It engages and disengages fine.

The only other thing is when i turn over 1/2 way to the right or left, it feels like the ujoint have to pop back. this i know is normal since one wheel is turning faster than the other but i am concerned about snapping the ujoints.

any idieas?

Reply to
Happy Father

Dump the auto hubs... sounds like one of them isn't releasing. Warn manual hubs are the way to fly..... Google hubs in this NG and you will see it is a very, very common problem.

Reply to
Jim Warman

4x4 should only be engaged on a surface where the wheels can slip; it sounds like you're doing this on pavement or some other surface that won't let the wheels slip. Am I close?
Reply to
Big Bill

I am going to dump my flaky autohubs for warn manual hubs. I'm thinking of replacing the 4 WD shift motor with a floor lever too. Is this possible? advisable? hard to do? (1994 Explorer XL, automatic transmission).

Reply to
Bob

Rereading his inital question, I think you're on the trail, Bill... Happy Father is learning about driveline windup...

Reply to
Jim Warman

i used the 44 last night and it engages and disengages just fine. i live in canada and we are starting to get snow.

Reply to
Happy Father

I'll ask again, because maybe you didn't see it first time...

4x4 is intended to be used on a surface where the tires can slip relatively easily; snow, sand, gravel, that sort of thing. If you're doing this on pavement or hard packed ground, this in itself may be causing what you are hearing. What surface are you doing this on?
Reply to
Big Bill

like i said, "i live in canada and we are starting to get snow." if i am on dry pavement the sound is there and if im in the snow i can also hear it.

Reply to
Happy Father

Sorry, I didn't see the post where you said that. Don't do that on dry pavement.

Reply to
Big Bill