1994 Explorer Electrical Problem

Hi All,

I've got a problem with the old girl. It starts fine, but once it idles down to its regular idle RPM, it starts to chug and is burning a ton of gas. If I remove a vacuum line, the truck runs a lot better. There's a little more to this story. I had a problem with the starter engaging whenever I stepped on the brakes. I later found out that there were two wires shorted together and to ground on the exhaust manifold (courtesy of the technician who installed my immobilizer). I fixed this problem, but am wondering if I could've buggered up the PCM by having these wires shorted and grounded. Anyway, once the vehicle warms up and I'm doing highway speed, it runs fine. When it's idling though, it will run extremely rich and very rough. The engine light is also on constantly. I got the codes off of it and it brings up a "MAF sensor lower than expected" alarm. I checked it out at the PCM and it looks like this is true. I'm getting close to zero volts on the MAF no matter what the engine RPMs are at. I'm just looking for some suggestions and ideas before I spring for a new MAF sensor as they are not cheap. Thanks.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

This all sounds a bit familiar, and I think could be two unrelated (or poorly related problems).

The chugging etc on the 94 sounds like the a problem I had (and others who helped me here) and may be the IAC valve. Did you say what engine you have....? I guess its the 4.0 SOHC. The IAC controls the idle bypass air flow and get its messages from the PCM.

To fix mine I took it out and cleaned up a shaft with a screwdriver (it was a few years ago) as I remember, to get the gunge off it. It is fairly rugged and withstands experimentation.

With a bit of broddling it was OK afterwards. This fixed the issue.

I think the buggered up wires is a result of the pillock who shorted them out.

:o)

Good luck.

Jethro Raleigh NC

Reply to