1994 Exterior driver's side door latch replacement?

Well, first the brakes went, now the door-latch snapped. Maybe I should lay off the free-weights at the gym?

Could anyone give me pointers on how to take the interior door panel off? I realze that if the mechanism has actually snapped, I will need to replace it, and will need to drill and rivet.

Anything specifically I should know about panel removal?

Thanks!

Reply to
kihoshk

It's pretty simple. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of screws that you should be able to find and take out. Mostly the panel is held on by push in plastic things that are attached to the back side of the door panel. Once it's off you'll see them. If they break you can buy new ones at the autoparts store. Even if they don't break some of them may not hold well the second time you use them (when you put the panel back on) so if you want to cover all bases buy a couple new ones ahead of time. Even if you don't it's no big deal, there is enough redundancy in them that one loose one is rarely noticeable. After the screws are out what I do is slide a small screwdriver or other flat metal object behind the door panel so it's between the panel and the door metal. Then you can slide it along till you feel it hit one of the plastic things. Once you find one you pry the panel "up" so the plastic thing comes out. Once you see one you'll understand exactly what's happening and the rest will be easy. Once they are all popped out you have to pull the door panel out from the bottom sort of hinging it along the top where the window slides in. The top is "hooked" so it hooks over the door metal/window opening so you pull it out from the bottom and at the same time push it up so the "hook" at the top is pushed off the metal. Again, once you see how it works you understand how the whole thing just pops on and off. Usually you'll feel like you are forcing/bending things a little bit but never enough that you fear you are about to break it. If you think its about to break you haven't got something right, maybe you missed a screw or pop thing. There is also a plastic fill panel under the door opening handle. You can pop it out at the very first step if you can figure it out but usually I don't. It isn't essential to have the fill panel out in order to get the door panel off but having it out to put the panel back on helps. Once the panels off it's easy to take the fill panel part out. Assembly is basically the reverse. Put the plastic things back in their holders if they came out. Put in new ones if you think the old ones are broken or worn out, hook the top over the door metal and push it down while holding the door panel out enough that the plastic things don't get knocked off.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thank you Ashton, You're and expert I see!

Reply to
kihoshk

I have found that I break fewer of the plastic holders if I make sure to pry directly against them and not on the panel next to the holder.

Reply to
Ulysses

I've been using a nail puller that's about the size of a medium sized screw driver. The end is flat and forked-notched and angled. It slides up and around the push pin area and works really well at popping them off without breaking anything.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hehe. Me too, only it's called a "brad lifter." Same thing no doubt.

BTW I fixed my door handle using a 1/2" strip of metal (cut from a coffee can--it was on hand) and attached it with some screws that, if I recall, were readily available on the backside of the door handle. I can't remember exactly what I did but first I glued the handle in place with some epoxy. So far it has held up but it became slightly misaligned.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks guys, great advice! I really appreciate your help.

-John

Reply to
kihoshk

You can by a special tool that will remove the plastic snap screws so that they will not break but before you do that make sure that you remove any screws that might hold the door pannel on usually they are around the handle that opens the door on the inside.

Reply to
redman28

Spooky. I fixed mine essentially the same way. Instead of cutting up a coffee can I used plumbers strap. The soft metal with holes in it they use to strap pipes to wood studs and such. I had one that was too far gone and bought a replacement part on ebay that was almost more trouble then the coffee can/plumbers strap repair.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I would have used a plumber's strap if I could have found one ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

You can get a replacement door handle for $24.94 from 1AAutoParts. Choice of gray or tan, too. I figured if I were gonna do all the work of getting the door panel off, I might as well get a new handle in there.

Dan Gillespie

1994 Explorer 4DR 4X4
Reply to
Dan Gillespie