1994 ford explorer

i have a 94 ford explorer 4.o litre v6 auotmatic ,lately when starting cold it idles at 1500 rpm then slowly idles down to 650 rpm, even when engine is warmed up, when started it starts at 1500 rpm then comes down to 650 more qiuckly, also when traveling at between 45 and say 55 mph, the transmission will kick down, then go back into high, then kick down again, also now when starting cold it seems like it isnt getting fuel for a second then starts normaly, any answers will be appreciated ,thanks.

Reply to
marlow

The first thing that comes to my mind would be a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hoses for cracks or disconnects. Also check the vacuum cluster on the intake manifold (near the rear, driver's side). If some of your connectors are loose check for automatic transmission fluid in the lines. If you find ATF then you may have a bad vacuum modulator on your transmission.

Reply to
Ulysses

My son has a 1994 Ford Explorer that we thought the fuel pump went out on because it would not start and there was no gas getting to the engine, but now after replacing that we think it is the alarm system that won't allow it to start. We think it is factory installed. Any ideas how to disarm the alarm? HELP!!!!

-- mdblucy

View this thread:

Send from

mdblucy

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuel pump relay located in the fuse panel in the engine compartment. I replaced the fuel pump which is in the gas tank which was a pain in the %$$%. Once that did not fix it I then felt like a dumb ass when I found the fuel pump relay...replaced it and ......

-Sam >

because it would not start and there was no gas getting to the engine, but now after replacing that we think it is the alarm system that won't allow it to start. We think it is factory installed. Any ideas how to disarm the alarm? HELP!!!!!

Reply to
Sam

My son has a 1994 Ford Explorer that we thought the fuel pump went out on because it would not start and there was no gas getting to the engine, but now after replacing that we think it is the alarm system that won't allow it to start. We think it is factory installed. Any ideas how to disarm the alarm? HELP!!!!!

Do a google groups search on VSS-600, which is a dealer installed alarm. I think thats all there was in '94. There are several past postings describing the pinouts.

You have to short two pins together to get it started if the module is unplugged. The alram module itself has the pinouts on it if you can find it. Mine was installed in the wall by the drivers left leg.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

Why don't you start with the basic stuff......

Got spark ???????? got fuel ???????? got air ??????????

Reply to
JohanB

My '94 Limited would do that every now and then. I put a new fuel pump relay in and it has worked fine ever since. The relays are pretty cheap.

Reply to
Mike Lapke