1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 Acceleration Hesitates from a stop

Here is the problem with a 94 ford explorer. Whenever the truck is stopped, whether starting out from a driveway or an intersection, it hesitates / cuts out for a second when you put your foot on the gas. It doesn't seem to do this if you put your foot on the gas slowly and gradually, but lets say if you put it on a bit more, it waits / cuts out for a second then it goes. It doesn't do this when the truck is moving.

I'm going to be changing all the fluids, and putting in new air and oil filters tomorrow. Could this be a spark plug problem? Previous owner said he changed the spark plugs, what if he didn't gap them properly?

Reply to
jsanders

Don't forget the fuel filter and check/clean the maf sensor

Reply to
JohanB

i'll see if i can get a voltmeter to check the MAF sensor tomorrow. I thought the fuel filter was designed to last the life of the vehicle, according to the service manual, and if it did need to be changed, that the quick release clamps need to be changed too?

if so I can't really do it because this tune up has to be d> Don't forget the fuel filter and check/clean the maf sensor

Reply to
jsanders

I change them @ 30k because I'll buy gas wherever my tank is empty and those are not always the high volume gas stations

I think 50K-60K is about the max for a fuel filter

I'm sure some people have a other view on this

Reply to
JohanB

Reply to
jsanders

Yes , very fragile, no poking around with a sharp object, they sell special MAF cleaner in a spray can

Is the air cleaner very dirty ??? That might be a clue, if they leak the maf gets dirty

Reply to
JohanB

Reply to
jsanders

Reply to
jsanders

Yeah, IIRC just remove the rubber tube from the plastic airfilter cover and clean it

Do you still have the 1 that is bolted to the lower part or the 1 with the clips ?? Anyway, just make sure it is seated correctly with the new filter element to avoid dirt leaking around the filter

intersection,

Reply to
JohanB

Forget about the spark plugs unless you pull one out and it is digustingly dirty. My '94 Explorer has the exact same problem. I still haven't found the answer for it. The MAF is a great place to start. Don't bother adapting any of your existing torx fittings for it though. Just grab a punch and gently tap down the existing little annoying middle tit on the two MAF sensor screws. They will crumble like soft POS white metal that they are and you should be able to get a regular torx on it after that(at least that's what I did). I'm not guranteeing that this is going to fix your sluggish gas pedal(mine is still like that) but it may help. Try what the other posters have said first(because it is great information) and then post back with any other problems. I'm not a mechanic but I have first hand experience with the dreaded '94 Exlorer. Good luck.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

Forget about the spark plugs unless you pull one out and it is digustingly dirty. My '94 Explorer has the exact same problem. I still haven't found the answer for it. The MAF is a great place to start. Don't bother adapting any of your existing torx fittings for it though. Just grab a punch and gently tap down the existing little annoying middle tit on the two MAF sensor screws. They will crumble like soft POS white metal that they are and you should be able to get a regular torx on it after that(at least that's what I did). I'm not guranteeing that this is going to fix your sluggish gas pedal(mine is still like that) but it may help. Try what the other posters have said first(because it is great information) and then post back with any other problems. I'm not a mechanic but I have first hand experience with the dreaded '94 Exlporer. Good luck.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

alright i'm going to attempt to clean it today.

found a TSB on this:

i'm going to clean it with either maf cleaner or electronic parts cleaner. in that tsb it says if i disconnect the maf connector and take it for a drive and if the problems go away it's contanimated. they say to replace it but i will just clean it. also

"DO NOT DISC> > > > > > > JohanB wrote:

Reply to
jsanders

Reply to
jsanders

Reply to
jsanders

My '94 is prone to the quite common "sticky butterfly plate in the throttle body problem". All you do is pull off the air hose from the front of the throttle body and spray the heck out of it with a throttle body safe cleaner. There's a coating on the inside of the throttle body that you dont want to disolve. I also lightly wipe with a paper towel too to get some of the goop off. Concentrate where the butterfly plate contacts the body housing. I have to repeat about every 6 months.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

I've disconnected and reconnected my batter a few times. I've never noticed a large drop in fuel mileage or vehicle response. I've also heard about this before but don't want to say much more due to my lack of knowledge it.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

Reply to
jsanders

Thanks a lot for your help guys! I heard before the tune up and the maf was cleaned, it would get about 320km (198 miles) on 19 gallons of gas. (9 - 10 MPG) Now, the update is 370km (229 miles) on 1/2 tank of gas, which would be 9.5 gallons i suppose. (22 - 24 MPG) Thats highway mileage though, but thats awesome for an explorer!

jsanders wrote:

Reply to
jsanders