1996 5.0L Explorer XLT Heater Core Replacement

I'm considering on taking a week off and trying to replace the heater core in my 96 V8 Explorer XLT . I've replaced a few in other vehicles over the years so I know what a pain it can be. I also hate shelling out $500-700 for someone else to do it for me. My question to the group is, are there any special tools required to complete this operation other than a sick mind?

Reply to
Randy

A quick NG search makes it "look" pretty easy - what are going to do with the other 6 1/2 days of your week off?

  1. Disconnect battery and drain system to level below heater core.
  2. Disconnect and plug heater hoses from the core.
  3. In passenger compartment, remove 4 screws attaching heater core access cover to plenum assembly and remove access cover.
  4. Pull heater core rearward and downward.

Disc> I'm considering on taking a week off and trying to replace the heater core

Reply to
Len