1996 explorer control trac 4405 transfer case

a new shift motor was installed year and half ago, having problem with front end locking in. Some time the 4 hi auto lite will come on,some time not. Stop and drive forward lite will come on. Last week had good snow storm and got out in this and all went fine, backed up, moved forward and front end disengaged and was stuck, even tho 4x4 auto was lite up. Got it out and turned switch to 4x4 auto and had no problem till backed up and starter forward, front end disengaged. At times the

4x4 & the 4x4 lo lite will both flash 4 or 5 times with selector in the 2 hi selection. Have read numerous articles on 91 thru 94 explorer owners with the bw 1354 case having no action when selecting a possition. They are cleaning the shift motor syncronizing it with the actuator shaft coming out of transfer case and off they go 4 wheeling. Does this syncronizing also apply to the 4405 case shift motor? Repair shop says problem is inside the case. The front axel has the vaccum and electric module that slides a collar onto the rite side axel to hook up the front drive, shop want to put in a used 4405 case Anyone ever had this kind of problem?
Reply to
mopac1

\ On the 91-94 Exploders the 4 High and 4 Low lights won't come on unless the transfer case servo motor moves to that position. I'm not certain about the '96 but I've read that on the '97 (probably the same) there is a sensor in the transfer case that can fail and cause the 4X4 lights to flash and also causes 4WD to not be available. This particular sensor determines if the from and rear wheels are slipping or not and engages accordingly. The good news is that some have had success by just cleaning the sensor and changing the transfer case fluid. From what I've read the sensor is magnetic and after several years small metallic particles build up on it. I would check the sensor before doing anything else, especially replacing the transfer case. Rumor has it that a new sensor is less than $20.

Reply to
Ulysses