1996 Explorer XLT AWD headlight replacement

1996 Explorer XLT AWD - 147,000 miles

My driver's side headlight (low beam only) is not working. What does it take to replace it? Is it a sealed beam or can I just replace the bulb? If just a bulb, will my local NAPA or Kragen's store probably carry it? In any case, any advice on it's removal and replacement?

Thanks! Bob

Reply to
Bob

On my 1996 Explorer V8 ~18k miles, there are some "flaps" on each side (and just foward) of the radiator that you can accesss you headlight bulbs. Lift the hood, lift the flaps, twist the bulb holder and replace the bulb. Don't touch the new bulb with you hands.

The only time I have ever been stopped by a cop in my Explorer was when it have ~500 miles on it and a cop stopped me for a burned out headlight. That has been the only headlight that I have had to replace. I carry a spare in my jack compartment. You should be able to get these bulbs at your local auto parts store.

Reply to
To Arms!!

You need a 9007 bulb, available at any auto store or Wal-Mart.

It may be easier to replace if you remove the battery. I've done it without, but it wasn't easy.

Reply to
Ed Mann

Remove the battery. Don't try without it gone!!!

I did. For an hour or more.

Finally removed the battery and had it replaced in about 4 minutes!

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Reply to
Alan Moorman

I may have the same problem of sorts.

My 96 EB AWD also has the left lowbeam out. The highbeam is fine. I replaced the bulb and got nada.

Checked continuity on old bulb and it was fine. Continuity on new bulb is fine. Fuses are fine, but getting no current to lowbeam wire (white/grn stripe)

Any Ideas?

Vito

Reply to
Vito

Howbout checking voltage.......

Switch your lite switch on/off rapidly a couple of times

Do the same with high/low beam and see if that will clean the contacts inside switch

Also if you have adjustable steering wheel, turn lites on and adjust steering wheel high/low, some times a wire gets pushed outta the multi function switch and will make contact again when adjusting it

Reply to
johanb

Voltage is 10.88 with engine off to L highbeam and R H/Lbeams.

I'll try try the tilt wheel and switch wiggling..

Vito

Reply to
Vito

Well...the jiggling didn't do anything...still no current to the lowbeam wire.

Gonna start at the switch and work towards the headlight. There's gotta be a reason why there's no current

Reply to
Vito

OK I tested for continuity between Fuse 4 (wht/lt grn) and the left headlamp socket by taking the back off the fusebox to get directly at the wire. Got NO CONTINUITY.

This leads me to believe there is a break in that wire somewhere between the fusebox and the lamp socket.

So I'll now try a jumper wire from the fusebox to the portion of accessible wire that I know has continuity...be back shortly.

Vito

Reply to
Vito

Do you have autolamps ?????

replacement?

Reply to
johanb

Look in your mailbox, hope that helps

replacement?

Reply to
johanb

Don't the EB's have a lamp out module that goes bad and causes this problem?

Reply to
Ed Mann

My 'jerry-rigged solution' lasted until this evening. I had NO headlights trying to drive home this evening from Nashville. Luckily had enough illumination from my fogs and driving lights to make the 55 mi trip.

During the trip, I heard what sounded like arcing coming from the multi-function switch. I also had to push the turn signal stalk a certain way for the signal lights to work. This leads me to believe that the MFS is the culprit...for now.

Plan to work on it once daylight is available. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Vito

Reply to
Vito

It may, but the bulbs were functional.

Reply to
Vito

Well I replaced the MFS and STILL have no lowbeams.

I had inquired as to the price of the GEM while picking up the MFS...the GEM is $236.00

Last chance for any other ideas before I resort to the dealer to fix this POS!

Reply to
Vito

Any solutions to the low beam problem? I have a 2002 EB with the same problem, just happened this AM. I've been told that there is a module for the lights on these trucks.I'll let you know when I get it fixed today

Reply to
Geeno

When I direct wire the lowbeams to the battery, they work.

The highbeams function normally, as well as flash to pass via the MFS.

Going down to the dealer to pick up a headlight switch - after picking the brain of the service mgr. I'm not gonna pay them $200-300 just to replace a $30 part.

Reply to
Vito

VICTORY IS MINE! Turned out to be the Lamp Out Warning Module (located under and to right of Message Center. There is a TSB about the module going bad/melting in EB and LTDs with after-market towing package wiring harnesses attached to vehicle system.

Now the fun part...trying to get the part ASAP.

Reply to
Vito

Picked up a new Lamp Out Warning Module at Champion Ford in Nashville. Only took 5 mins to put in and viola`...I now have working headlights.

For those interested in the part number...F77Z-10K910-AA

Reply to
Vito