1996 Explorer XLT Rattle at 2000 RPM

I have a 96 Explorer XLT with 115,000 miles on it Recently it has developed a rattle (which I assume is coming from the engine) at between 2000 and 2500 rpm. The engine check light has not come on. I have taken it to two independant mechanics. Neither has any good suggestion. Has anyone got any ideas as to the cause and possible fixes?

I see that there is are a couple of technical service butletins titled "Some engines may exhibit an engine noise which may be perceived as a piston/connecting bearing knock" (#13118, 6896, 01197) Does anyone know the details for these? Might the noise be related to one of these know problems?

Thanks ICD

Reply to
icd

hi there

it sounds like you have carbon build up and predetination.there is a spout connector beside you battery that will retard the timing 4 deg and see in noise goes away thanks

Reply to
mystang

The format that NHTSA uses for Ford TSBs has nothing to do with the real world..... e-mail me your VIN off list and I can run OASIS for you. For both our sakes, please do not "assume" anything.

"Assume" is a subjunctive noun/pronoun/verb/adverb/modifier - proper spelling *ASS/U/ME*. Not found in Websters or Funk & Wagnalls, the true meaning is that it makes an ass outta you and an ass outta me.

A noise is a noise and it's source should be identifiable. If these mechanics were involved in driveway (free) diagnostics, no problem.... if these were bought and paid for diagnostics, they should be soundly spanked.

Just to show where that comes from..... when I was self employed, I always used to "joke" that wire was something I BOUGHT by the roll and GAVE AWAY by the foot..... Most everyone should tamp that down into the old meerschaum and take a puff or four - it don't taste so good.

Reply to
Jim Warman

mystang, Thanks for the reply. I found a connector with a single pin, connected to the harness with a green wire with a yellow stripe. This is next to the battery, right behind the ABS servo. Is this the one that you are refering to? Do I ground the pin to retard the ignition? Thanks ICD

Reply to
icd