1996 Ford Explorer

I have a question about my Air Conditioning Compressor on my 1996 Ford Explorer. Can the compressor be removed and replaced without having to go through a professional shop. My clutch is making noise, I think it is a bearing issue and the area around the clutch is reddish brown and you can smell a burning if you run the AC for a while. The AC works fine and still blows cold air into the vehicle. I am afraid that the compressor will lock up and leave my wife stranded. Can I remove the old compressor and install a new one and use a recharge kit from an auto store to recharge it without problems. The manual talks about flushing the system is this necessary or could I just change out the compressor and then recharge the system to get back in service. Is there any other components I should also change out when I change the compressor out?

Thanks.

Reply to
Krusty

Most A/C compressor clutches can be replaced with the compressor in place and without discharging the system. If you disconnect any fittings (which legally should be done only after collecting the refrigerant, not dumping it in the atmosphere), the system will have to be at least properly evacuated before recharging, or you'll end up trapping a lot of moisture. Unless you have the tools and the knowledge, this is definitely a task for the pro.

Thanks.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Here is a forum that will give you all the information you need,including the compressor breakdownand parts list You have an FS-10 compressor and the clutch and front seal are easily replaceable:

Roy

Explorer. Can the compressor be removed and replaced without having to go through a professional shop. My clutch is making noise, I think it is a bearing issue and the area around the clutch is reddish brown and you can smell a burning if you run the AC for a while. The AC works fine and still blows cold air into the vehicle. I am afraid that the compressor will lock up and leave my wife stranded. Can I remove the old compressor and install a new one and use a recharge kit from an auto store to recharge it without problems. The manual talks about flushing the system is this necessary or could I just change out the compressor and then recharge the system to get back in service. Is there any other components I should also change out when I change the compressor out?

Reply to
riddles

Explorer. Can the compressor be removed and replaced without having to go through a professional shop. My clutch is making noise, I think it is a bearing issue and the area around the clutch is reddish brown and you can smell a burning if you run the AC for a while. The AC works fine and still blows cold air into the vehicle. I am afraid that the compressor will lock up and leave my wife stranded. Can I remove the old compressor and install a new one and use a recharge kit from an auto store to recharge it without problems. The manual talks about flushing the system is this necessary or could I just change out the compressor and then recharge the system to get back in service. Is there any other components I should also change out when I change the compressor out?

If it's cooling well you'd be better off just taking it to a reputable repair place and having the clutch replaced and not mess with the compressor. Why replace something that's working?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher