1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer intermittent electrical fault 4WD/Power Windows

I could use some ideas. Periodically, the 4WD/2WD dash indicator lights flash 6 times. While this is happening and for a period afterwards, the 4WD drive actuator switch knob on the dash will not get the vehicle into 4WD and the power windows and power sunroof will not operate. Turning off and restarting the engine does nothing. Usually after 45 min to 1.5 hours, the power windows will again operate. This is so curious because the windows, power sunroof and the 4WD are all on separate fuses.

A mechanic could not find any error codes and only suggested taking it to an electrical shop.

I'm hoping to find someone that has had a simolar problem. Thanks!

Reply to
upc_bobcline

Sorry for the late reply.... busy, busy, busy am I .....

Power windows and electric shift control are both dependant on the GEM on your car.... I don't know your tech and I don't know if his scan tool is capable of polling the GEM for codes but this is where I would start.....

Jim Warman