1996 Ford Explorer that turns over but will not start. Not fuel pump.

Occurs about 5 p.m. and on very hot days, so far. When tester is touched to fuse or wires wiggled in the back access panel, it starts and then won't act up again until 1-2 weeks later. It's always something different that makes it start. 2 hours of diagnostics at the dealership didn't get me anywhere. The fuel pump was replaced about a year ago. Once it starts, it runs well and starts again without problems for about 2 weeks. My neighbor says it's haunted.

Reply to
Broken Down Old Broad

Turned out to be a short in the wiring to the fuel pump.

Reply to
Broken Down Old Broad

Where was the location of the short?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

No idea. Refused to start again last Wed. afternoon, so I called the dealership service department. They were able to diagnose and fix it the next morning.

Reply to
Broken Down Old Broad