1997 Explorer 8 cyl Starter or Solenoid

My Explorer will start fine most of the time but other times it just clicks once when i turn the ley. I can retry and it starts fine. Today it just clicked and it had to retry it 10 times before it started. Im guessing the starter solenoid is bad. Question, is the solenoid replacable or do I need to replace the entire starter / solenoid unit.

I think it is the original starter and the vehicle has 204,000 miles so it may not be a bad idea to replace them both

thanks

Reply to
rab669

This may or may not apply to your situation: I have the 4.0 V6 and on this particular engine sometimes the problem you described can be caused by a bad starter relay. On the 4.0 it's in the big fuse box under the hood.

I also suggest you get your battery load tested. On my '97 sometimes it would start and sometimes it would just turn over without starting because of a weak battery.

Also you might want to check your battery cables, especially the positive cable. On the earlier models they were a common problem.

If these other things check out OK then I'd look at the starter/selenoid. But personally I'd check these other things first.

Reply to
Ulysses