1997 Explorer Hatch Latch

I have a 1997 Explorer and one day had it backed into my garage, with the hatch up. I have to move the car a few feet and thought I had clearance to to leave the hatch open. Well, I didn't and the latch clipped the edge of the raised garage door. Ever since that incident the latch was a little loose and had to be handled carefully but firmly in order to release the door or window. One day someone at the car wash tried to force it when it was locked and now it doesn't open at all.

I'm sure I can go to the Ford dealer and for a small fortune they'll open it and probably want to replace the entire hatch door. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there any way to open the hatch in the first place so that I might have a try and open the inside panel and checking it out?

Thanks!

Reply to
ExplorerCalifornia

I had a similar experience after getting rear-ended, and I found that I was able to remove the interior trim piece from the inside with the hatch closed.. Then I could get into the hatch from the inside and actuate the levers to get it open.

hatch up. I have to move the car a few feet and thought I had clearance to to leave the hatch open. Well, I didn't and the latch clipped the edge of the raised garage door. Ever since that incident the latch was a little loose and had to be handled carefully but firmly in order to release the door or window. One day someone at the car wash tried to force it when it was locked and now it doesn't open at all.

it and probably want to replace the entire hatch door. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there any way to open the hatch in the first place so that I might have a try and open the inside panel and checking it out?

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Hmmm, I guess I'll have to crawl in there and give it a try. At least I know that someone else has done it. Thanks!

Reply to
ExplorerCalifornia

Been there... done that..... but, being a dealer tech, I probably want to replace parts that are required. The hatch is bent and the latch has been forced..... do this to your dishwasher door and see what you need to replace.....

I'm reminded of my wifes cousin.... many years ago he had some work done at a 'speed shop'. When we picked the car up he said "Oh no.... they put parts....". I could only ask if he wanted it fixed or if he only wanted them to take it apart and put it together.

If you want to bad mouth mechanics, I suggest you name names and tell us where they work....... you paint me with that same brush and I can get awful unhelpful. Happy New Year, folks.

Ford school next week - I bring home the new scooter so I'll be polishing and polishing more than lurking...... matter of fact.. a long list of Ford schools as we bring my certifications up to date.

Stay safe

know that someone else has done it. Thanks!

Reply to
Jim Warman

Rereading my first message, I now see how it might come off in a way that I did not intend. My Explorer is a great car, seven years old, and well over 130K. What it comes down to, I simply wanted to see if anyone had ever tackled this problem without going to a dealer or any other auto body shop or mechanic. I'd like to avoid any additional expense on the car. I don't expect to keep the car much longer, though in the next few months I wish to buy a few things, (TV and such), that will make it necessay to open the hatch.

Did not mean to offend anyone, and Happy New Year to all.

Reply to
ExplorerCalifornia

Sorry to snap back.... If the hatch is bent at all, there could be some difficulty getting stuff lined up to work at all. Did one a few months ago and it felt like crap to have to give the customer back something less than satisfactory..... I try to stay within my customers budget but I can't step out of my own to do it, if you see what I mean.

BTW, the interior trim panel does remove quite easily... take care to avoid cracking it, though.

wanted to see if anyone had ever tackled this

next few months I wish to buy a few things, (TV and such), that will make it necessay to open

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well I did it! I fixed it! This morning I went into my garage and went into my Explorer to get the garage remote control to take on my morning run, and decided to climb in there and look. About and hour and a half later, I was done. Hands black with grease and all, but I managed to remove the panel, and get it somewhat fixed.

What took the most time was trying to figure out how to get that panel off. I was trying to snap off the buttons at on the top part of the panel around the window, to find out that you just wedge a screwdriver or something under the panel and pull it off. However, I did crack near where the clip for the window latches. There's a screw under the hatch lock that has to be removed.

As it turned out, the latch had been rotated such that on the inside, the notch that pushes the release for the window or the door was turned around. After the panel was removed, I carefully removed the pastic covering, reached in, removed the screws that secure the hatch latch on the inside, and moved the latch into the proper position and then replaced the screws on the inside. I don't think I got the spring connected quite right. When locked, the latch does move a bit and I don't remember that when it was new, but it does work.

Thanks!

Reply to
ExplorerCalifornia

Hey great job!

Sorry, I shoulda warned you about that hidden screw by the lock button..

I wound up busting my trim at the top, but not getting it off! When I was putting it back on I had the hatch open, and I snapped the trim in place, and bent over to grab the pullstrap / screw assembly and when I did the whole #$@$ thing fell and hit the ground .... What a jerk I felt like.

But when it was back on, you could hardly notice it.

Anyway glad 2 hear you got it goin!

take care.