1998 ABS LIGHT ON

MY 1998 FORD EXPLORER ABS LIGHT CAME ON.I REPLACED REAR DIFFY SENSOR AND LIGHT STAYED OFF FOR FOUR DAYS. NOW IF COMES ON ABOUT EVERY 50 MILES BUT WILL GO OFF WHEN I RESTART IT.ANY IDEAS? DO YOU HAVE TO CLEAR CODES,IF SO HOW CAN I DO THIS? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOMED.

Reply to
JUNIPER9803

I just bought a 2000 Explorer. The ABS light would come on after a few miles on the test drive. The Ford dealer fixed it before I bought the truck, but it took some time. First they replaced the Break ECU (code c1102) module. This did not solve the problem. They replaced it again, still no fix. They called Ford and were told to replace a G sensor. The problem is fixed. I don't really know anything about this stuff, but maybe this info can help.

Reply to
blueexplorer

Step 1: Turn off Caps Lock

Step 2: Make sure you have the correct amount of brake fluid in the reservoir

Step 3: Verify all your tires are the same size and type and properly inflated. A slack tire can trigger the ABC light. The system compares wheel revolution and a slack tire will show up as being off compared to the others. The ABS interperts this as a faulty speed sensor. Same thing if all your tires are not the same size and type.

Step 4: Check the rear wheel sensor (but you have already replaced this, so I assume it is OK).

Step 5: Pressure wash the area inside the front hubs. You are doing this in an effort to clean any trash out of the encoder wheels that might be confusing the sensors. I don't think this is the problem, but it can't hurt to try this.

Step 6: Visit your dealer and have them read the stored fault codes. At this point you are at their mercey.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White