1999 Explorer Limited - Improving Fuel Economy

I just bought a 1999 Explorer Limited, with 105,000 miles. It's an AWD with the 5.0L V8.

So far, it looks like 15-17mpg is the best I'll be able to get, even when driving very carefully. There are a few things I would like to try and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried these:

- TornadoAir. I put one of these on my 1966 Mustang, and it seems to help with the low-end power, but I'm not sure about fuel economy. I'm thinking that it might help more on an EFI vehicle.

- High flow performance air filter. Not sure if it would help the mileage, but should unleash 6-10hp (advertised).

If you have been able to improve your fuel economy, particularily on a 5.0L V8, let me know. I'm interested in any technology that could help.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
DFastOne

Forget the so called performance air filter. I know the ads sound good but it's all bogus under real life conditions with stock engines. Same for TornadoAir. The feel of a bit more power is mostly the change in the sound level and frequency from the change in airflow. No practical result. This stuff has been checked out many times and found to be basically useless on a stock engine. Based on my '98, your 15-17 mpg is about as good as you're going to get, even with a light foot. I got 19 mpg a couple of times on my V6 on 250 mile trips(all highway), but I found it so aggravating to drive that way (keep a relatively low constant speed) that I went back to my normal driving. Good luck.

Ken

DFastOne wro

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

I have now driven a similarly equipped '98 for quite a few years. Your mileage makes perfect sense. If your commute is on low traffic, rural highways at a constant 45 MPH you may be able to squeeze up to 18-20 mpg with your light foot. If, on the other hand, it's on a 70 MPH hilly freeway like mine, even 15 mpg is a nice accomplishment. City driving will be even worse.

It's a heavy vehicle, and the constantly engaged all-wheel-drive is also taking a bit of a toll. Your 5.0L engine is a very reliable workhorse, but also a 30+ year old design on which they slapped a new, fuel injected intake. The usual array of sensors and sophisticated electronic control already makes it as good as it gets; the gadgets you mentioned are snake oil. I can only think of one trick: if like mine, yours came with the 'towing option' 3.73 (or even 4.10) rear drive ratio and you are not using it to pull heavy boats out of the water, modifying it to a more modest ratio will let the engine run at lower rpm when cruising in OD and save gas. Not sure how much, but certainly will. But if you really want to save gas, get a used econobox for the daily commute and save the Explorer for fishing trips.

Incidentally, if the numbers you are quoting are off the message center, take them with a grain of salt. Mine are consistently 6-8 % more optimistic than reality (actual miles/actual fuel consumption).

Reply to
Happy Traveler