1999 Explorer Sport engine code problem

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer and the computer tells me that there is a insufficient flow to EGR Valve. I have contacted to ford dealerships and got two different answers. One tells me that is is probably the dpfe sensor which is 100 bucks, the other says it is probably the regulator. I am new at this emmisions stuff and any help would be greatly appreciated. J-Sarge

Reply to
J-Sarge

I had a code 402 on my 1999. The direction from the group was 'troubleshoot'. I went to a friendly shop and the computer said DPFE. I bought ond frem a Ford dealer for about $80. and it solved the problem. I then found new ones on EBAY for about $20.

Dave

J-Sarge wrote:

Reply to
Davenandee

Please, please, please... post the code number... If the code retrieved was a P0401, you are ALMOST assured that it is the DPFE. The regulators and valves themselves have been known to fail tough not with the regualrity of the sensors. You may want to double check with your dealer... I recall a customer satisfaction program though I cannot currently access the details.

There is a simple method to testing the DPFE but you will need a scan tool capable of display PID data and a hand vacuum pump.

Reply to
Jim Warman

A scan tool is nice, but not essential. The DPFE puts out a DC voltage, which is not that difficult to measure, either by backprobing the connector or by poking the wire with a fine probe (not recommended, but not a disaster if the puncture is later sealed). The detailed curves are in the book, but to determine if the DPFE is alive or dead, it's sufficient to check if it puts out something between 0.25V and 1.25V at rest and rises to about 5V with 4-5 psi applied. When mine failed, it was reading full scale with the tubes disconnected. Didn't even need the vacuum pump to tell that it was broken...

Reply to
Happy Traveler