1999 Explorer - theft light flashes

I have a 1999 Explorer XLT purchased new, no problems until yesterday. After backing out of my driveway the truck would continually stall when taking my foot off the accelerator. Later in the day I tried again and it worked fine. Today I noticed that the theft light was flashing (no stalling), I stopped and turned the car off and restarted ? no theft light except couple of seconds after started, then goes off ? truck worked fine.

Does the theft system shut off fuel or is it just coincidence that this seems to be happening together? I?ll take the truck in this week to the shop ? any idea what could be causing this and how expensive to fix.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Reply to
xxx

When I first got my explorer, I used the wrong key in the lock, you know, the one without the chip in it. The car wouldn't start, and I subsequently had the same problem. When I finally took it in, the diagnostics revealed that the theft system had detected a theft attempt and therefore began disabling the car. They reset the system, and I haven't had a problem since then. Only cost me fifty dollars and saved a lot of stress. As I said in the other post about this, the diagnostics had also revelaed an issue with the oxygenator, so it could have been either one.

Reply to
"Fester via CarKB.com

Thanks for the info. I've always used the original key, so no issues there. I've used the truck every day since this weirdness happened, works fine - no stalling or Theft light issues. I'm inclined to think it was unrelated and coincidence (perhaps some bad gasoline), I'll probably defer taking to the shop unless it happens again.

Thanks,

Mark

"Fester via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to