1999 Ford EXP A/A Problems

I have a Ford explore, the truck is hard to start once I put on my A/C. I turn the A/C switch off and the truck starts up fine.Can you help me with this problem?

Reply to
Bezo

OK... do you mean the engine turns over slowly with the AC on? Please define "hard to start" a little better....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes, it will drag as if the battery is dieing. Once you turn the A/C Switch to off it will start fine.

Reply to
Bezo

You may want to get the A/C system checked. Sounds like it's causing enough resistence to prevent starting...like a hydrostatic lock condition

Reply to
Vito

What Vito said.... try this.... remove the belt, turn the AC on and try to start it....

Has any AC work been performed recently? Perhaps an overcharge condition exists....

Reply to
Jim Warman

thanks a bunch, I was thinking the battery was going dead.

Reply to
Bezo

sounds like the AC clutch isnt disengaging when the engine is off. not sure what would cause this problem though....the AC compressor does pull on the engine while it is running, so naturally if it is engaged while you are trying to start it, it would be much harder for the starter to turn the engine AND the AC compressor, that's why when you turn off the AC, it starts easily...i'm no professional, but my educated guess is that there's something keeping it from disengaging once the engine is turned off.

almfreak

Reply to
almfreak