1999 ford explorer v6 sohc intermittent dying at startup

About 2 weeks ago purchased gas at a location where the station just ran out of gas. The next morning the explorer would not start unless you gave it alot of gas. If you kept the RPMS up, then it would run. Noticed alot of condensation out of the exhaust.

Eventually changed the fuel filter, and have ran about 2 tanks of gas through the car. It will now start and run normally, but on an intermittent basis it will not start and idle after it is cold. If you give it more gas, then it will run. Once it warms up, then it appears to run fine. This is intermittent. I also swapped out the fuel pump relay switch.

I believe when this problem happens, the fuel pump seems to be properly pressurizing the system when you turn the key on.

Is it fuel injectors, or fuel pump? It would not seem to be the pump, since the engine runs fine at higher RPMS.

I was also reading that this engine had a campaign for the intake manifold.

Reply to
djhaase

Big Shoe

If you pumped gas from a gas station tank that was just about empty you likely put some water/sludge/sediment into your gas tank. That's why you saw the condensation in the exhaust. A can or two of drygas will get the water out but you could be having problems from the other stuff that may have gotten got into your system. This can affect the filter and the injectors. A fuel system cleaner may help. Probably nothing to do with the pump.

Ken

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Thanks for the tip.

I checked it with an ohm meter after your post. It appears to be with> Do a Google search on the IAC (idle air control) valve - could be

Reply to
djhaase

I agree, its probably the IAC valve. It's easy to remove and clean or replace if you need to.

Reply to
Mikepier

I agree it might be the IAC. you might have luck cleaning it, I didn't, just replaced it while we were at Advance and everything is fine. It's no big deal!

Reply to
Cedartown Electronics

If the iac doesn't fix it check the upper and lower intake gasket.

There rubber o-rings and they get rock hard when cold and leak .

The rest of the story might just be a big coinkadink , unless you think everything that happens in life is related.

Condensation just means its colder and more humid and that will, you guest it, make the gaskets harder and leak more

Reply to
Ollie

Well, I pulled off the IAC and cleaned it. Lots of carbon in it.

Hopefully that fixed it. It is parked now for the weekend, when I get back I will see whether or not I can recreate it. Unfortunately this is the wife's car, and she probably will not want to chance that it will leave her stranded. I tried to explain to her how to drive it like a stick shift. Keep the RPMS up and just put in neutral when you get to a stoplight / stopsign. But she did not buy off on that idea.

See how it goes next week. The idle did seem better after I cleaned the IAC. On the SOHC engine, it really is easy to get at. I also have the blank radio display problem and have been trying to fix that. Lots of pointers on the internet about that.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Cedartown Electr> I agree it might be the IAC. you might have luck cleaning it, I didn't,

Reply to
djhaase

Well, it looks like it must have been the IAC. I pulled it and cleaned it and have not been able to recreate the problem. So the problem with the gas may have been nothing / a coincidence. Thanks for all of the advice.

Last time I had an intermittent problem with my previous 94 ford explorer, I took it to the dealer paid my consultation fee and they told me they could not figure it it, bring it back when the problem happened again. I am sure I would have been given the same spiel this time.

Ollie wrote:

Reply to
djhaase