1999Explorer Air Intake Hum

I have a 1999 Explorer and at about 55K miles a humming sound started coming from around the air intake ducting in the right front of the car. I ignored it for a while, then the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer, who said that codes were showing for running rich, so they tightened some hoses and made the check engine light go off and the noise was gone. A day later the noise came back and the check engine light was back on.

I took it to the dealer again, and they referred to a bulletin on the air intake gasket and did the repairs for free this time, due to an extension of warranty on this problem. Now, a few days later, the sound came back again. Now it?s intermittent, but it?s still there.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas that the dealership couldn?t come up with?

-Andy

Reply to
andy2000explorer

Sounds like it could be the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve..... a relatively common problem.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Jim Warman

IAC valve problem. Same thing happened with the wife's 1997 Ford. Cost arouond a bill and a quarter.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Yeah_right

Go to NAPA. I replaced mine last summer for US$40 plus tax, with my AAA discount. Without the discount it was $45.

Prices can really vary on this part. An independent parts store two blocks away wanted $80 for it. Took me about two minutes to remove the old one and install the new one.

Reply to
Kevin D

>  >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). > Report abuse: > >

Okay, sounds easy enough. Where is the IAC valve, and how do I access it? Is there a picture somewhere that can guide me to it?

thanks,

Andy

Reply to
andy2000explorer

Andy, send me your email address. I just took a picture of mine, and I'll send it to you. It's on the left side of the engine (mine is a '96 with a 4 liter OHV V6), near the A/C compressor, and bolts to the air intake ducting.

Kevin

Okay, sounds easy enough. Where is the IAC valve, and how do I access

Reply to
Kevin D

"cyclist1" wrote: > Andy, send me your email address. I just took a picture of > mine, and I'll > send it to you. It's on the left side of the engine (mine is > a '96 with a 4 > liter OHV V6), near the A/C compressor, and bolts to the air > intake ducting. > > Kevin > > Okay, sounds easy enough. Where is the IAC valve, and how do > I access > > it? Is there a picture somewhere that can guide me to it? > >

Thanks all. I changed it this afternoon and the howl is gone. Hopefully it will remain history.

-A

Reply to
andy2000explorer