2000 Explorer LTD cold start intermittant problem

I have a 2000 Explorer LTD 5.0 V8 that has problems starting in the morning sometimes. One foot needs to be on the brake and the other to keep the idle up so I can shift from N to D. After the engine warms a bit it seems fine. I'm not too sure what the problem is. I don't want to blow my money at a mechanic. They all seem ruthless here.

I replaced the battery. That wasn't the problem.

Next I'll try the plugs.

What do you suggest? Any help would be appreciated.

-- Monkey With A Typewriter

snipped-for-privacy@MonkeyWithATypewriter.com

Reply to
Monkey With A Typewriter

If I get the symptom correctly, it will start, but not continue to run unless you apply some gas pedal to keep it running?

Reply to
rakster

i had that problem on my 1999 eddie bauer, it was the cold air intake, had the dealer take care of it, exact same thing, trust me go independant, it was way to expensive and unnecessary '99 explorer eb 4x4, 77,000 '03 BMW 325i loaded, 3,100 miles Ryan

Reply to
DodgeisDifferent

My brother also has a 2000 LTD that had the same problem. Took 5 visits to 3 different dealers to determine that something with the fuel system had to be upgraded to some new "hidden" spec. It was a major job, too, but they did fix it.

Reply to
B.D. Newman

sounds like they downloaded new software into the computer. I've heard it can be done.

Reply to
rakster

No, it was not a software problem. They replaced the fuel pump and some fuel lines that, I think, were also rerouted. Perhaps software was altered IN ADDITION.

Reply to
B.D. Newman

Just for the record, I took the IAC off and cleaned the carbon out of it. It's been starting fine ever since. That was 2 weeks ago.

-- Monkey With A Typewriter

snipped-for-privacy@MonkeyWithATypewriter.com"Monkey With A Typewriter" wrote inmessage news:xUiVa.4940$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net...> Well, changed the plugs and that wasn't the problem. I'm going to cleanout

Reply to
Monkey With A Typewriter

Nice to hear another good fix.

Reply to