2000 V8 transmission problem?

I have a 2000 V8 AWD (4 speed auto) with about 170K miles. I leave my house in the morning and drive down hill for about a mile. It's a pretty steep hill and I often switch off OD to get more engine braking. I get to the bottom of the hill, stop, then hit the gas to get going again. The engine revs but the car doesn't move, as if it was in neutral. I wait a few seconds, the transmission engages and I've got power again. This seems to happen only when the car is cold, otherwise it shifts and drives fine. Any thoughts as to what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
fork

First thing I would check is the transmission fluid level. Sounds like it could be low.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I did that - level is ok, that doesn't seem to be it. Thanks.

Reply to
fork

I would posit that the next most likely thing is leaking internal seals. When things are cold the clearances are greater, things don't seal as well, and too much fluid leaks past the seals to build up apply pressure. If you are willing to give anything a shot start with a can of transmission seal conditioner - it will soften and swell the rubber seals. You can also put in some "stp" oil thickener - that will increase the viscosity of the ATF and may allow it to build up pressure when cold. I've got an 89 S-10 with too much internal leaking in hot weather and have put 3 or 4 cans of "stp" in it to help keep it going. So far I've gotten about an extra year out of it. It will be interesting to see how it does this next summer when it's 110 out.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher