2001 Exploer Sport Trac fuel tank holds more than it should?

I recently purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. In order to calculate gas mileage, I've been asking the gas station attendants (no self-serve in Oregon) to top it off high, figuring this will give me a more accurate calculation. The owner's manual says that this truck has a 20.5 gallon fuel tank capacity. The last time I refilled, after having run the gas gauge quite low, the guy pumped 23.6 gallons into the tank.

So who's lying, the gas pump or the owner's manual? Having gone 200 miles since then and having the gauge still read half full, I'm inclined to believe it's the owner's manual. But why would Ford do that?

Thanks in advance,

Alan Geist asgeist at ichips dot intel dot com

Reply to
A Geist

My '92 Sport has a 17.5 gallon tank, IIRC. But if I run it down to fumes (rarely!) I can get about 20 gallons into it.

I don't believe the filler tube is counted as part of the tank's volume and I believe there is also supposed to be an expansion space that isn't counted, either. Basically, the specified tank capacity is the range of the gauge, if you over fill it stays at the FULL mark until the overfill has been consumed.

Reply to
DJD

There is a good deal of 'head' space in the fuel tank..... can't remember the number, but 10% wouldn't be far off and, in some cases, possibly more. Tailpipe emissions are fairly well under control and the big push in the last few years has been towards evaporative emissions (gasoline fumes). We can see this in newer models with the loose or faulty gas cap setting the MIL.

Given enough time parked at the pump island, it wouldn't be hard to get more than the specified tank capacity into the tank (the spec being what the tank is rated for and not what it can actually hold). Grab the roof rack and shake a bit and we can get even more in - no this is not a good idea since it can defeat the purpose of the evaporative emissions system (remember, theis is what part of the money we spent buying this puppy went on).

The tanks are designed to be full when the nozzle clicks off....... disclaimer time...... fast pumps will shut the nozzle off before slow pumps.

For fuel mileage calculations, three fillups with no real effort other than to record the fuel purchased and distance travelled should be all that is required. Note that the capacity of the tank doesn't influence the calculation other than carrying more weight uses more fuel (this is nitpicking at it's best).

Jim Warman

It is not uncommon for fuel tanks to hold more than their rated capacity. You should consider the rating a minimum capacity, not an absolute or a maximum capacity. And since many vehicle now you plastic tanks, a little expansion when filled is to be expected. Heck, even with steel tanks, they expand a little under the weight of fuel (not 2 gallons though).

Regards,

Ed White

Jim Mc D> I have a 2001 Sport Trac, the tank holds 25 + gallons. The early units had

Reply to
C. E. White

I really need to work on my english and spelling. Instead of "And since many vehicle now you plastic tanks, a little expansion when filled is to be expected," I should have said, "Since many vehicleS now USE plastic fuel tanks, a little expansion when the tank is filled is to be expected."

Ed

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White