2001 Explorer Sport... trick to getting the rotors off?

I want to change the pads and rotors on a 2001 Explorer Sport, and I had the calibers off. But to take off the arm the caliber is on, is a real bear to break loose the bolts. Any suggustions? Liquid wrench, turning the bolts in a counter clockwise direction, or just use a cutting tourch?

all comments are welcome...

Reply to
Pookie

I'm going to take some guesses as to what your describing............

The caliper is held on by two bolts screwed into the slider pins? Right? You managed to get one off but the second is stuck, right?

These bolts come with a locking medium already on them, and it works. It is usual to break these bolts when changing calipers, so I advise having a set of new slider pins and bolts from your dealer standing by. I have tried to removed the broken stud from a pin...... and it isn't worth it.

Do you think I am describing what your talking about?

David (Raleigh)

Reply to
False Email Address

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > >
The calibers come off easy, the front arm that it is attached to is the problem (2 bolts). I have sprayed it with a bolt loosener several times and they are still frozen. I been thought this with a 2002 Trailblazer after my son wore the pads down past the rivets. For now I know I am licked and I am not going the mess with this any longer. I got tired of cursing at the thing. That did not help any either. Thanks for the insight, but now an auto shop can break the bolts. Then it is thier problem. You?re right, "it isn?t worth it".

Reply to
Pookie

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:

Try heat next! Use a propane, or better yet map gas, torch in a circular motion around the hub part of the rotor (between the studs). You'll be surprised how easy they come off with a little heat...

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

The bolts for the caliper mounting bracket will come off the normal counter clockwise direction with a breaker bar. I've changed the rotors on my '98 Sport by sliding a pipe over my breaker bar. I believe they are in the neighborhood of 85-90 ft-lbs, but once you get over the initial resistance you should have no problem removing them. I didn't even use Liquid wrench or WD-40. Just use a pipe over a breaker bar or whatever socket set you have for the added torque.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Xx