2001 Ford Explorer Starting Problem

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can figure this out. My wife has a 2001 Ford Explorer with the V6 4.0. We were having a problem to where it would not crank without pressing the accelarator and I thought I had it solved on two seperate occasions. First time someone suggested that it was the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) so I replaced that and the car cranked fine for a week and then it started doing it again. Someone else suggested that it might be the fuel filter so I then replaced that and it has been doing perfect for a month now until today when it wouldn't crank till I pressed on the gas pedal. Whenever you step on the accelerator pedal while trying to crank it, then it will crank fine but if you don't press on it then it will not crank at all. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Reply to
cusack

I'm going to take a SWAG at it. The accelerator is a mechanical linkage. Cranking depends on an electrical linkage.

Where could the connection be? I would look down around the gas pedal in the floor area and around the firewall under the hood to see if there is a wire or cable that is being rubbed, chafed or just moved by the action of the accelerator an associated mechanical parts.

Along this line, a question. When it does not crank, can you hear the starting solenoid click?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Going out on a limb.... I take it by "crank" you are meaning "start"? FWIW, in the vernacular "crank" means "turn over".

That two totally unrelated "repairs" have solved your concern for short periods of time has me confused. My first suggestion would be to look for a fuel pressure concern (scanning for codes would be more sane....). The best way would be to use a fuel pressure gauge when the concern is happening (trying to diagnose a problem that isn't currently present is a waste of time). Cycling the key in an effort to build fuel pressure before cranking the engine is inconclusive, at best.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ok since I wasn't clear enough here goes again. The engine turns over just fine but will not "fire" or "crank" unless I press the pedal to the floorboard and turn the key at the same time. As soon as I do that it fires or "cranks" right up.

Reply to
cusack

"To the floorboard".... another variable enters the equation.... This stuff isn't as simple as many seem to think. If you are flooring the pedal, you are driving the PCM into "clear flood" mode and reducing the fuel delivered to the cylinders. In this case, I would consider an injector or EVAP system concern.

But, at this time, the waters are far too muddy with half information. Please, gather your information and restate it... try to use accepted parlance (if you say it doesn't "crank" we will automatically think it doesn't turn over). State ALL of the information without trying to overuse the thought...

My truck starts... I am here to try and help you and I don't get paid for it. Do NOT make me jump through hoops.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
cusack

Reply to
Big Shoe

Reply to
cusack

I had a very similar problem with my 1993 Explorer. It turned out to be something simple, but it really frustrated me because it was so doggone intermittent. It only happened about once a month or once a week. It varied a lot. But, it's no fun to be stranded.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

FWIW... I did not make these cars complicated... I fix these for a living and information is a valuable commodity in both reproducing the concern and resolving the concern... You are looking for a magic bullet... I WAS trying to help you find that magic bullet but I can't do it psychically. Without access to some specialized equipment, it becomes very difficult to offer anything other than an assumption unless a detailed explanation is offered.... at that time, we can narrow it down to a guess. I'm trying to help and you climbed on a high horse.....

Have a good day....

Reply to
Jim Warman