2002-4 Hands-Free Cell Phone and/or XM Install?

I'd like to hear from others who have installed a hands-free cell phone and/or XM Satellite Radio system into their 2002-04 Ford Explorers or Mercury Mountaineers. Personal experience, opinions or directions to websites and forums (especially with photos and detailed comments) is most welcome.

I have a 2003 Explorer Limited with the 6CD Stereo and am interested in how others mounted or incorporated their cell phone and/or XM radio. I am anticipating use of a Pro-Fit mount for the cell phone:

...but welcome all ideas.

Of particular interest is the integration with the 6CD Stereo, which includes a "Mute/Phone" button. I have yet to discover the documentation for how this feature can be utilized properly in a hands-free install.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brian Humphrey snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

Reply to
Brian Humphrey

I have XM Radio (Delphi) mounted just below the auto climate control, just above the "pencil holder" in the center console. It looks good and is in easy reach, and is an easy install, as the wires can be run under the front center console liner through the available port.

Reply to
Tony

On most hands-free kits they have a phone mute wire which gets connected to the mute wire on your radio.We've done 2 different installs for phone kits and delphi xm units in your truck.First is to use the profit to hold the cell phone cradle and mounting the xm display in front of your cup holder.and second was the exact opposite, put the xm display on the profit and put the phone kit infront of your cup holder.

Any questions feel free to ask

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

Thank you Sir. Your answer brings forth but two other questions. Where did you choose to mount the rest of the XM radio gear... and which model antenna did you use? Any suggestions or tips about why, where and how you chose to install these items would be most welcome.

Reply to
Brian Humphrey

Mark,

Thank you Sir, for your most polite and thorough reply. Your answer (like one earlier) brings forth but two other questions that I failed to ask...

Where did you typically choose to mount the rest of the XM radio gear... and which model XM antenna do you recommend? Any suggestions or tips about why, where and how you choose to install these items would be most welcome. It is apparent that you work in this field, so your gratis advice is truly appreciated. Please don't feel awkward in giving your business a plug (City/website/contact info) as your support in this forum is no doubt appreciated by many.

Regards,

Brian Humphrey snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

Reply to
Brian Humphrey

Hi Brian, I have the Delphi Sky-Fi with car kit and FM Modulator--- so the internal wires are hidden behind the console, and the kit comes with a small magnetic external antenna. I had it installed at Circuit City. They wired the antenna through the windshield side molding, so the antenna itself sits on the far front right side of the roof, just above the front windshield. I have an 02 EB 4wd. Let me know if you have any other ?'s.

Reply to
Tony

Brian, The Delphi unit has a nice antenna due to its ablility to be installed inside the car.Depending on the unit you go with (Alpine,Pioneer,Delphi,Sony) you have different mounting options for the display and the tuner box.As for the tuner box for the Alpine,Pioneer and Sony it will fit nicely under your passenger seat.You have a couple different locations to mount the antenna, either the front of the car and run the wiring inside the windshield molding, or the rear of the car and run the wire through the tailgate, or right in the center of your dashboard.

Our main dispatch is located in Rockaway NJ.We offer true mobile installation services.Our customers give us a call and we dispatch an installer to there house or business to install anything from Radio's-Speakers-Alarms-Remote Starters-Mobile Video and Navigation.

BTW:on a side not depening on the radio you have in your truck you can actually wire your cell phone to work through your stereo.So say you recieve a call, the radio will mute and the call would go through your car speakers.A quailified shop will be able to do this.

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

What type of phone kits does this work with? Where does one connect up the mute feature?

Thanks

Reply to
Hal

This will work with any phone kit that uses an external speaker and has a mute lead.The wire color changes radio to radio, all you need is a little 12volt test light connect the lead to ground and probe the largest square plug behind the radio.Make sure the radio is on.Once you find the right wire the radio will mute and it will display either "Phone" or "Mute".When hooked up to a phone kit this will mute the radio when the phone is in use.

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

I'll have to check that out, though with heavy tint on everything but the windshield and people largely decrying signal reception through glass, it may take some experimentation.

With power seats left and right in this '03 Limited, it may be a bit cramped - but that does sound to be the best option if I can make it fit. I noticed you didn't mention the Delphi tuner box. Is it *that* much different, and if so, should (or does that often) come to be a consideration?

Hmmm. I think I may be shopping for the antenna first.

Though I am a few thousand miles from The Garden State, I will certainly recommend you to my friends and colleagues who can take advantage of your services.

Indeed that is something I wish to pursue.

Thanks again Mark, for your willingness to offer such polite and helpful suggestions. Kindly accept my best wishes for a safe and joyous new year.

Brian Humphrey snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

Reply to
Brian Humphrey

Brain,

Never had a problem putting it inside the car as long as it is in the center of the dash as close to the windshield as possible. We have to do this alot on Porsche and Audi's due to the customers not wanting to see anything outside the car.

Those tuner boxes will fit. You'll need to lay the box under the seat, then remove the seat so you can screw it down in that one spot. The Delphi unit doesn't have a tuner box. It can be used VIA tape adapter or FM modulator. If using the FM modulator this will fit behind your radio without any problems.

Also If you decide to go with the Delphi unit when you purchase the car adapter it includes the Delphi XM antenna.

Any more questions feel free to ask

Happy Holidays

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

OK. But I'll try not to take advantage of your good will for too long. Do you have any experience or opinions with the XM Commander?

Though most of the current users seem to be using the SYFi:

...the Commander, at first glance, seems more desirable to my needs. Any comments, observations or opinions are welcome. The bracket for my hands-free cell phone install arrives today, and I hope to do the XM next week if I can.

Again, thanks to one and all for your advice.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Humphrey

The commander is actually a really cool little unit.I especially like the RCA output from it.The Delphi is a nice unit giving you the ability to use it in your car or your home. As for what better for you...You have to decide if your going to be using it in your home or will it just be in your car.If its gonna stay in your car just get the commander (It's alot cheaper than the Delphi piece) if you want the ability to listen to it in your house go for the Delphi

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

I purchased the XM Roady. It's the smallest one available. It doesn't need any kind of extra adapter bracket. I mounted it just above the console shelf below the radio and heating controls using the supplied bracket ( it has double stick tape). By the way, I have a 2003 XLT.

I lifted the console cover ( just one screw under the rubber shelf cover - get a wide blade screwdriver into the gap between the hinged storage compartment and the console cover - it will pop right up) There is a cable that connects to the power take off on the console. I spliced a cigarette lighter jack into this line.

Buy the new Roady wireless fm adapter - plug it into the hidden power take off. The built in power converter inside the fm adapter draws so little power when the receiver is off, I don't think there is any problem with battery drain.

Drill a small hole in the front of the console cover and pull the antenna lead, audio cable and power cable through this hole. With this installation only the receiver shows and all cables are neatly (or not so neatly ) stored under the console cover.

I also used a suction cup bracket designed to a GPS antenna to mount the antenna at the top of the windshield inside the car. This works really well. The signal isn't as strong as an outside mount, but I only get signal loss under long overpasses and under very heavy tree cover.

You can get the Antenna mounting bracket from

Have fun!

Sy Cohen

Reply to
Sy Cohen