2002 auto shift pattern

Automatic 4x4 with 3.73 rear by the way. When accelerating, what are the last several shifts/events that should occur in sequence? 3-4, 4-5, T/C clutch engagement. Or is the sequence T/C lock, 3-4, 4-5. Or can the transmission modulate the clutch to effectively achieve a partial lock. Also, is it normal under very light throttle on level ground or even very slight upgrade for the vehicle to have the T/C clutch locked. If im careful on the throttle, mine

*nearly* lugs like a manual down to about 35 MPH which is slightly over 1K RPM before it downshifts. No bucking or such, but you can tell there is no slippage due to the T/C.

I'm way too curious. TIA.

Reply to
DriveSpy
[4.6L, 3.73, 5R55W transmission] This question becomes much more important if you tow a trailer. The shift pattern in the 5-4 and 4-3 downshift arena seems all wrong to me, but I can't get anyone at Ford to even talk to me about it. Is there any definitive info out there? Is there a factory upgrade to the transmission computer program (I bought my Explorer fairly early in the production cycle)?

DriveSpy wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

The TC can run at something like 70% lock and you may or may not be able to tell it's not fully locked. It's normal, not a malfunction. When things aren't quite right you get the famous "TC shudder". Sounds like you aren't getting that. Ford seems to have some really odd shift programming in some of these transmissions where it feels like it's both upshifting and downshifting at the same time by how it locks/unlocks the TC and goes in and out of OD and other gears.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy