2002 Explorer front end grinding

I am now experiencing a grinding on the front end at low spped turning right or left but particularly right. Would anyone have any clue, this is not a disc brake grinding it sounds and feels more in the trans itself.

65000 miles.
Reply to
dosouth

4X4?
Reply to
Big Bill

Are you certain that this is not due to the brakes? Before I would do anything else, I'd inspect the front brakes just to be sure that they're not the source of the problem.

A couple of years ago, I had a sticking right front caliper. In no time at all, the pads were worn down to the metal, and the disc rotor was scored beyond hope. There was a loud grinding sound that I could feel as well as hear, and the sound happened whether or not I applied the brakes, although that changed it somewhat.

If you've already inspected the rotors and are certain that this is not brake-related, it would probably help to know if you have an automatic or a manual transmission.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin D

Hi Bill I'e got a 4x4, a 91 Eddie Bauer and recently noticed a clicking, sort of like a playing card in bicycle spokes, sound in the drivers side front wheel when in 4x high. Any idea what this may be? This sound occurs while driving straight, not sure about turning as i dropped it back to 2x when I heard it. It has limited slip front and rear. The sound goes away when taken out of 4x. Thanks in advance for any info.

Reply to
SoCalExplorer

CV joint binding up or needing attention ? Have you got a manual for your EB. I have a Chilton and a Haynes ( really prefer the Chilton's ), and it gives you all sorts of things to look for.

| >>I am now experiencing a grinding on the front end at low spped turning | >>right or left but particularly right. Would anyone have any clue, this is | >>not a disc brake grinding it sounds and feels more in the trans itself. | >>65000 miles. | >

| >4X4? | | Hi Bill | I'e got a 4x4, a 91 Eddie Bauer and recently noticed a clicking, sort | of like a playing card in bicycle spokes, sound in the drivers side | front wheel when in 4x high. Any idea what this may be? This sound | occurs while driving straight, not sure about turning as i dropped it | back to 2x when I heard it. | It has limited slip front and rear. The sound goes away when taken | out of 4x. | Thanks in advance for any info.

Reply to
John Riggs

Sounds like it might be a CV joint going bad. There are other things it could be, though, and short of actually getting your hands (or someone else's hands) dirty, we're only speculating. But the fact that it goes away when taken out of 4WD would indicate a problem in the driveline, and the CV joint is a prime suspect.

Reply to
Big Bill

Thanks for all the posts. Sorry I had been away. You know the CV joint might be the culprit. My 2002 is an AWD with Auto 4 high and 4 low. This grinding happens with about 5-10 minutes of road time either at high or in town speeds in AWD and doesn't go away if I switch into 4 high or 4 low.

I have a feeling that the CV is not cheap to repair but it is not the brakes as I had them off and have had back plates and calipers catch before on other vehicles....all your input is appreciated.

Reply to
dosouth

Thanks for all the posts. Sorry I had been away. You know the CV joint might be the culprit. My 2002 is an AWD with Auto 4 high and 4 low. This grinding happens with about 5-10 minutes of road time either at high or in town speeds in AWD and doesn't go away if I switch into 4 high or 4 low.

I have a feeling that the CV is not cheap to repair but it is not the brakes as I had them off and have had back plates and calipers catch before on other vehicles....all your input is appreciated.

Reply to
dosouth

Thanks John. I got down and checked it out. I have u-joints up front instead of CV's, it being a '91 and I guess the drivers side u-joint is bad. I'll replace all of them while I have it torn down. I've got the Chilton and the Haynes manuals also.

Reply to
SoCalExplorer

Good boy! I have a '92, and thankfully I haven't had that issue yet, so I wasn't sure what was used on the front axle, but since I've been working on family and neighbors' vehicles with similar issues, it sounded right. I had to replace a rear universal....front didn't appear to need it...no point replacing a good part, and it appears that the rear had been replaced once already, since it had grease zircs and was dry as a popcorn fart.

Universals instead of CV joints? What were they thinking?

Reply to
John Riggs

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT bought it with 19000 and the trans went at

21000 ford changed it and then at 36000 they had to replace it again they never said it straight out but the did say that there will be a recall for the 2002 explorer trans I also experance a problem when backing up there is a grinding noise coming from the right front wheel area....
Reply to
wrnj79