2002 Explorer Sport Gauges acting crazy

I just recently bought a 2002 explorer sport with about 50K on it. Drove it for a week with no problems. First I noticed the gas gauge one day go way down below "E" and the check gauge light appeared. I kept an eye on it, and eventually it climbed back to half a tank. Im think, Ok, Maybe a bad fuel sending unit. Then the other day, the temp gauge went all the way up past "H" by about a 1/4 inch, the fuel gauge did the same thing as last time, and the battery gauge went below "L" by a 1/4 inch. I pulled over, the engine was barely warmed up, so I checked the radiator cap to make sure, not even hot yet. I get back in, the check gauge light flashed and all gauges went back to normal. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Nate

Reply to
nate

Some ot the older ones had problems with cracked solder joints on the instrument panel connectors. That might explain your symptoms.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul G.

Best place to start is to scan the ICM (instrument cluster module) for codes....

Reply to
Jim Warman