2002 Explorer Sticks in 4X4 Low

'02 Explorer Eddie Bauer, V6 engine, 62k miles. I pushed the 4X4 Low button one day while stopped. The low gear engaged but would not release when I pressed Auto or 4X4 High. I spent about 30 minutes rocking back and forth, stopping, accelerating, turning, etc. before it finally released.

I don't know what finally caused the transmission to release, but I have not pushed that button since! Any ideas/suggestions as to what might be wrong? Anything that I can do to fix - lube, clean, simple parts replacement? Thanks....

Reply to
Rock
4X4 Low range is pretty fussy about operated on a high-friction surface, even for a short distance. It should be engaged only on VERY low-friction surfaces - ice, deep snow, deep sand - and disengaged as soon as possible when you have cleared the need, and BEFORE you get back on a high-friction surface.

If you operate on a high-friction surface and wind up the drive train, you can back and rock and accelerate all day and not unwind it. If you turn in the wrong direction, you'll only wind it up more, and the probability of causing damage is high. If you turn in the right direction, and move slowly for the correct distance, it will relieve the pressure on the drive train and it will pop out. Sounds like this is what you did.

I often thought that if I were caught in this situation, the best solution might be to jack up one front wheel until it loses contact with the ground. This ought to relieve the pressure and allow it to release. Never actually tried it, though.

Bill

Rock wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Along about page 156 of the worlds most expensive unread book (the owners manual, if you will), there is a description of how to get into and out of four wheel drive....

It requires multi-tasking but is an easily acquired skill, all the same. Bring the vehicle to a stop.... if it is an automatic, place the shift lever in neutral (no, not park) and then simply press the desired button....

Yes - I'm an ass... I thank everyone that will take the time to remind me.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim;

"You're an ass! However, it sure is nice to see you posting again! Been awhile!

Regards; Bill Hall

Reply to
Bill Hall

There must be many asses here as I suspect that if you hadn't said that someone else would have, myself included.

Reply to
Ulysses