2002 factory hitch replacement

Hate to bring this up again, but before I go crazy with what options I actually have, can someone tell me if the factory 1 1/4" hitch can be removed and replaced with a 2" hitch? It looks to be integrated into the frame. I was trying to stay away from that Valley convert-a-hitch. Haven't seen any pix of it installed and I don't want to use it if it hangs too low.

Thanks Ken '02 XLS

Reply to
knagy389us

I had my 02 Explorer class 3 (2" square) hitch installed at a place called Discount Hitch. I asked if they could remove the existing class 2 (1 & 1/4" square) hitch and they said, "no, since its part of the frame." What they did was install the new hitch under the existing one and its not too low. Its perfect height for trailers.

Reply to
Tikka3006

... can someone tell me if the factory 1 1/4" hitch can be

I was told by a Ford dealer that they could swap them (for a fee, of course)

Reply to
S.P.

Yeah, I assume I'll have to go the same route. Sucks that I don't even pull anything and I have to go through all this for my bike carrier.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
knagy389us

Thought I'd end this one as the search is over. U-Haul ordered/installed a nice 2" class 3 hitch, $175 out the door. It coveres up the 1 1/4" hitch, don't care as I won't use it. Nice looking hitch also, it's the round tube, not the huge square frame that hangs down.

Reply to
knagy389us

Quite ironic UHaul sold you a hitch, to bad they won't let you tow any of their POS trailers with it.

Reply to
Gerry Pierce