2002 Ford Explorer (4x4 Auto Question)

I just bought my 2002 Explorer a couple days ago (preowned of course) with approximately 42000 miles on it. They had to order me a new owners manuel so I was unable to read up on this question myself... I have been driving my truck with the "4x4 auto" button turned on...figuring this means that if 4 wheel drive is needed it will come on automatically...however even with the recent snowfall here in Bucks County PA my 4x4 high light has been coming on even when driving on non snow covered/slippery roads. Sometimes it comes on when I am going around a turn or just accelerating while merging onto a highway...is this normal? I don't want to damage my drivetrain but it keeps coming on when it feels like..Any ideas on what is happening here? Does anyone elses Explorer do this?

Of course when I bought the car 3 days ago we had no snow so I just learned this was happening during the past 24 hours and since it has

42000 miles on it, it is no longer covered on any Ford warranty.....I am hoping it is nothing too serious.
Reply to
aem11782

Big Shoe

The tires are all brand new.