2002 Keyless Entry Pad

I've searched all over for the location of the "Computer Module" that the five digit code is supposedly on.

My wife bought a used Explorer 2002 XLT the we don't have the code to open the keyless entry. The dealer wants $75 to find it for us. (We bought vehicle at CarMax not the dealer)

My stepfathers Expedition has it under the drivers side steering column. I looked in there as well as in the jack location as so many internet sites propose, not there either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Reply to
BrianH

Keyless entry code is stored in the PCM and can only be accessed with a scan tool capable of retrieving VIDBlock information. $75 might sound a little steep, but we need to understand the cost of the specialize scan tools that we use at the dealerships and the cost of the constant updates.... all costs that do need to be recovered.

Jim Warman

Jim, The Ford Service Manual claims it is on the Body Security Module (aka Vehicle Security Module) on late build (after 03/2002) Explorers. Is this a misprint? I have heard that a sticker with the code was no longer attached to these modules since they are programmed on the assembly line. The older modules ("Central Security Modules") definitely had a sticker with the code that could be read by looking at the module through the jack compartment. The Body Security Module is in a different locations, and if it doesn't have the code on it, there is no need to look for it.

From the Ford Manual -

"The permanent entry code is located on the owner code card in the glove compartment. It is electronically accessible using a diagnostic tool and is labeled on the central security module (early build) or vehicle security module (late build)."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I'm working from memory here, Ed.... service manuals on our dealer techs website are currently down and my DVDs have expired (new ones sitting on my toolbox) so I can't double check. It's getting to the point where we can't repair something without spending 15 minutes to read all the caveates, tips, disclaimers and special circumstances. It's quite possible that I'm thinking of PATs information (this is stored in either the Hybrid Electronic Cluster or the PCM). I did retrieve the keypad sequence for a friend back in late summer but the WDS doesn't tell us what module it's fetching it from. On some models, VIDBlock info may be stored in more than one module (had a Windstar that I had to reprogramm the HEC on not too long ago because info didn't match for some reason) but some modules are more reluctant than others to give up what they know.

At any rate, you are quite right, Ford has abandonned keypad sequence tags on modules, especially now that keypad sequences are, again from memory, reprogrammable. In the future, I see convenience 'features' burgeoning as technology advances and manufacturers utilize extra processor functionality to bring us features we never dreamed of but suddenly can't live without (being an old fart, I can think of the cell phone, the remote starter, the handheld video game...... heck, when I was a kid, I was even happy with black and white TV - oops, I can see a bunch of young'uns scratchin' their heads over that one).

Jim Warman

Jim,

If your DVD has "expired" just reset the computer calander to an earlier date. Mine keep expiring, but just changing the date unexpires them nicely.

Ed

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

I get the old ones from work.... they're updated monthly but continue to work for one extra month. That way, if I'm not near an internet connection, my TSB catalogue is still fairly close to current. I installed the December discs today and I'm up and running again.

Thanx

Jim Warman